Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
one of my favorite wildflowers

Posted by tenacre Zone5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 20:28

This sprouted in the unmowed area of our front yard, and has been making a welcome return every year since.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: one of my favorite wildflowers

Beautiful orange milkweed, aka butterfly weed......keep your eyes open for monarchs!

o

Found it very easy from seed, and now have it in several shades, but not all I want. Will try again. And a national campaign should exist, where interested gardeners will raise it and plant it as food for the Monarch, that has seen serious decline, lately. A single clump has grown and bloomed, untended, at the edge of my tiny rock garden for over ten years, while I fuss about the other plants there. It came by itself. While I don't appreciate insect damage, I would not bother the Monarch Caterpillar, and I even allowed a disgusting infestation, on one plant, of the Milkweed Bug, that has the most extreme brilliant orange and black coloring.
Many are unaware that the plant is a notorious one for showing up very late in Spring, and is extremely difficult to move, because of a sturdy tap root.

o

That is really a very beautiful photo. I love how the grass adds such a nice visual contrast to the plant itself. I'm so used to seeing butterfly weed in rather stark, dry environments. This is so lush.

Kevin

o

Bogturtle,
There are multiple national campaigns to increase the number and varieties of milkweeds growing. If you google Monarch conservation or preservation, or pollinator conservation, you'll find lots of activities going on. We had a great project here on GardenWeb to connect new milkweed growers with veterans who could share seed and growing information. I think it was "Adopt a Milkweed Newbie" or something close. This year we're already encouraging established gardeners to begin collecting seed from host plants and nectar plants in preparation for another seed-sharing effort to help expand and create as many butterfly-friendly gardens as possible. We even had some media involvement in a large Monarch release that one member of GardenWeb staged. Monarch Watch is an organization based at the University of Kansas that grows and sells/distributes milkweed seedlings across the country. They accept donations of money or milkweed seeds, and grow milkweeds from seeds collected from specific geographic regions to redistribute back to those same areas.

Anyway, there's lots going on and we all try to do our part both in our gardens and in education those around us.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here