Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shasta Daisies done - now what?

Posted by nydepot 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 20:35

The daisies are done. Foliage still green but flowers are done. This is my first year with them (inherited from a new house). Do I shear the flowers off down to foliage or leave them? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shasta Daisies done - now what?

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 20:44

I would deadhead the flower heads - not attractive, and more energy will go into root production if not spent on seed production.

o

Yup, I cut mine back to the basal foliage every year to tidy them up. I need to go do that soon.

Karen

o

Sometimes there will be new buds forming further down on the stems. If so, cut back to that spot and you will get further bloom. If not, cut back to crown for new growth.

o

I planted shasta daisies from seed indoors this past winter, set out the plants in a sunny composted enriched garden this Spring (zone 7). It is now July 29th and I have plenty of foliage but no flower buds. All the zinnias, asters, and sunflowers are doing just fine. Why no bloom? Should I yank these plants at the end of summer or hope for bloom in the second year?

o

mandorsk - many perennials, including Shasta daisies, won't bloom the first year from seed. I grew them via winter sowing last year and they're blooming this year for the first time. Same with ladybells, lobelia, columbine, blackberry lily, beardtongue, globeflower, carnations and blanket flower. All were grown from seed via winter sowing last year, grew into healthy plants that went dormant in the fall, came up again this year and bloomed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here