Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Earwigs?!?!

Posted by lilsprout Mi 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:41

I was out today moving plants around and suddenly realized I have not seen one earwig.

Surely a great result from the brutal winter! They have to be one of the nastiest bugs in my opinion.

We've certainly had enough rain to make it the perfect environment, yet not one. :D

I'm wondering if everyone else is seeing any?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Earwigs?!?!

Yes, I've seen them - they are happily munching on my brugmansias and hydrangeas. Not too numerous (yet), so I don't need to take out my insecticidal soap yet, but they are here.

o

I've seen a few too. some were living in the wilted flowers of my camp. elizabeth... that was a discovery! *shudders*

o

No earwigs here in my southern Ontario garden either. Also no slugs, very few snails. Japanese beetles, which just started showing up a couple of years ago in my garden, have not been seen either. Quite a few toads and dragon flies so maybe they have eaten all of them. Unfortunately, the little worm that has invaded my beebalm the past two years is back.

o

OMG!!!!! you shouldnt have said.. it.. you cursed us in MI .. lol ..

as you know.. everything was a month behind the spring in MI ... now lets see if the Es were

ken

o

Yes I've got the little nasties, they're busy gorging themselves on everything here :(.

Annette

o

I have noticed that there seems to be a reduced number of earwigs this year, which is good, but also a much reduced number of bumblebees, which is not so good! Also, have hardly seen any slugs, despite having a fairly wet growing season so far.

But I have found some earwigs on the milkweed, which is normal. They hide in nooks and crannies of the growth tips and flowers. I flush them out and smush them!! Along with any other predators that might get the Monarch larvae (haven't seen any Monarchs yet this year though).

I've gotten over my squeamishness of smushing earwigs and beetles and such with my bare fingers...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here