Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

trim back Nepeta Walkers Low?

I have several, they are all very sprawling. My oldest one is at least 4 feet across, and covering lots of other things. I know this is typical of this plant. If I trim it back, will it branch out lower down? It's still blooming, though.

For next year (this year more or less got away from me), should I cut it back before blooming to induce branching?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• pippi21
    11 years ago

Carolyn Aiken from Aiken house and gardens blogspot grows lots of Walker's low and she has mentioned on her blogspot that when hers gets out of control, she trims them back and they bounce right back and rebloom. Check out her blogspot if you are not familiar with it and don't drool. Her gardens are breathtaking and she and her husband do all the work themselves. He is very skilled in building garden structures. You'll be hooked on her blogspot once you see her gardens. I've been following it for about 3 or 4 yrs.

• sunlicious
    11 years ago

i have been growing nepeta walker's low for a number of years now. the last few years, i have been cutting it back after it's done blooming---or, nearly done. has always bounced back, no problem.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Mine is back in bloom in about 3 weeks after cutting back to stubs. This plant is very vigorous and rebounds quickly.

• cecily
    11 years ago

I trim mine back by about half at the end of June each year and it reblooms about a month later. You can cut it down to stubs without killing the plant but I don't like the appearance that gives. A lady down the street cuts hers to stubs with hedge trimmers (she has six of them edging her garden) and they look pitiful for three or four weeks after cutting. It takes me about an hour to carefully snip mine but that's my obsessive compulsive choice.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When you say cutting back to stubs, you mean cutting back most of the length of branches? Like if you have a 3 foot long branch, cutting it back to be 6 inches?

I'm pretty compulsive too, I was thinking of trimming only half the branches (like every other one), then going back later and trimming the other half. Considering how it sprawls, braches on top of branches, that won't be easy.

• leslie197
    11 years ago

Usually be the time the color is mostly gone from the blooms, new basal foliage has sprouted on my Walker's Lows.
    I cut all the stems back as low as I can using hedge clippers. The plants form nice neat grey green foliage mounds which will eventually get tall again and put out more blooms. Sometimes (if I'm really quick to cut them back), there will be little or no basal foliage, but it doesn't matter - they regrow just fine. I personally find the foliage mounds to be attractive during the regrowth period, and I am careful to cut the stems back very low so they do not show at all through the new foliage.

• arbo_retum
    11 years ago

corrine, i am TAKING that Pony Tail name; exACTly how i 'whack' everything! thx so much; perfect moniker!
    best,
    mindy
    www.cottonarboretum.com/

• cathyrob54
    4 years ago

My Nepeta Walkers low is new in my garden this year. Early June Looks beautiful. June 12 some are just starting to lay down on the back side after a day of heavy rain but flowers are still good with some branches loosing flowers. Question, if I want flowers for July 4th holiday, should I just stake up back side or trim that area back now or should I trim all the plant back. It's only 3 weeks til the holiday.