Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry Foxglove

Posted by Dogg1967 4b Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 20:53

Well, second year and we have a bloom! This is my first and only success with foxglove so I'm quite happy. Don't know if this plant will be around next year as most foxgloves I know are true biennials... ah well, I will enjoy it while it lasts. One question though... should I cut off the spent flower stalk? Will this induce another bloom? (Oops, that's two questions.)

photo fdf7989d-9733-45b8-8e57-d045a3726840.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry Foxglove

Check out the info at the link below. There's no mention of a rebloom period.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foxglove

o

That is a lovely blossom. I have had a smaller rebloom on at least one variety of my foxglove after cutting off the spent bloom. Also cutting off the spent blooms and not letting foxglove set seed will sometimes help the plant survive and bloom another year.

o

One of mine got broken off at the top and it branched out along the stalk and had many blooms on small branches.

o

once its spent.. or just gets ugly.. what do you have to lose.. experiment ... cut it ...

my third question would be... do they come true from seed.. so would you not cut them to allow the seed to ripen ... .. presuming you wanted to get some generations going ...

had you thought of it.. you should have bought and planted some more seed.. or a babe plant.. this spring.. so you would have one next year ...

growing true biennials.. requires some advance planning.. to maintain the plants in the garden ...

but i wouldnt be surprised... if flower color fails to come thru seed .. but you would have a variety of colors ... the parental colors .... or grand parents.. etc ... others or research can tell you if flower color comes true from seed ....

ken

o

Strawberry Foxglove is supposedly perennial so it should hopefully be back next year.

If I were you, I'd let it set seed as this one does come true. I have a bunch of them that all came from the same plant.

o

No, no rebloom. Digitalis mertonensis is a short-lived perennial so count on 3, maybe 4 years of life.....but hey, they will definitely seed about so offspring will be yours aplenty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here