Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Fever Few

mary_max
11 years ago

They have put on a beautiful show and now starting to look ugly. Do I tear them out or cut them back. I am in zone 5. Just wondering if I will get a second bloom by cutting back. Also do you treat them as annuals in zone 5? Thanks for all your great answers to all my question. I am learning so much from all you folks.

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

why would you ever tear out a PERENNIAL???

otherwise.. call it is called a annual ...

so the obvious answer .... for a PERENNIAL .. is cut it back when it bugs you ... [you knew that didnt you.. lol]

ken

ps: something tells me.. long ago.. i did tear mine all out.. because of its aggressive invasive-like qualities ... but you didnt ask that ...

• denninmi
    11 years ago

If you cut back, fertilize, and water, you will get repeat bloom, decent but not as big of a show as the main spring flush.

They are fully winter hardy in Zone 5, but you should be aware that the plant is very short lived, many times it functions as a biennial in my yard, sprouting in the fall, overwinter, blooming, seeding, and dying. So don't be surprised if it doesn't survive. Be sure to allow at least a few of the seeds to mature to keep the supply going.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

I just cut mine back. I love them dearly, and would never be without them, but trust me, I never will, lol. I think these things would take over the world if you let them!

So I cut mine back pretty ruthlessly. I left one or two stems up around the yard to reseed just in case. I'm not convinced that they return reliably for me, so I leave the few seedheads up as insurance.

You might get a bit of rebloom if you cut back now too. Hmm, I just did a quick search to check out the rebloom thing and found this article (below) which said it may rebloom all summer if you cut back. Oh well, too late for me, as I cut them way back....I might get a (short - height-wise) rebloom, but no "all summer" for me!

Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: feverfew info

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I find that they have weed-like properties, sprouting everywhere. Don't put the deadheads in the compost. This is one of those plants that while nice enough, I don't like enough to ever intentionally put it in a garden again. I haven't let mine go to seed for more than 10 years and I still rip out innumerable seedlings every spring and summer.

• rusty_blackhaw
    11 years ago

It does seed around some, but I've never had a problem with too many seedlings in my garden.

I added a couple of new varieties this year, including a double-flowered form. If you keep them deadheaded, most of the time feverfew will flower on and off most of the season.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Ah yes, nhbabs makes a good point - I never put the seedheads in the compost either!

One variety I like and actually wish would reseed MORE (as it doesn't seem to reseed much at all) is Virgo. I actually wonder if the varieties are crossing in my yard, as I seem to have blooms that have Virgo's "puff" but with the petals of the standard feverfew.

Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: feverfew virgo

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Mine grew very tall and very floppy, but so did most everything else in the bed. Probably too rich when I had it tilled last year with horse manure. I cut back most of them a few weeks ago and now I need to cut the rest back. Next year I'll know better than to just let them keep going without a haircut to keep them from flopping. Mine are 'Virgo' and they do reseed some. The flowers are cute, but the plants look horrible when they're flopping all over the place.

Karen

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

This year -
    denninmi was right with CBAF (cut back after flowering)

Let something else star in the show in the garden there. If it makes it too empty add a colorful planter (empty even), another garden ornament, annual plant.

save seeds if they've matured to relocate feverfew to another spot

Next year try -
    cutting back when the plants are about 1-2' tall to shorten
    more mulch
    no fertilizer including manures

Such a great filler plant, but does need trimming back.

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

I have a low-growing chartreuse (sp) type that I let spread everywhere because of the chartreuse ground-cover look. I throw the deadheads everywhere so they spread and do they ever. I'm also thinking that might be the feverfew that Ken pulled out as I am quite sure I gifted him with a bunch of mine about 200 years ago. Oh well. Sure makes a nice backdrop for almost any hosta, especially the blues.
    Pat

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    11 years ago

Ooh, I like that Virgo! I got a regular (I think) feverfew in a swap last year. I have been quite charmed by it. I deadheaded it already, though. It's growing where I have trouble with lot of things though: a place that is too hot and dry and too far from the hose to get over and water very often. If it spreads there, I'll be happy. I'll have to hope it blooms again, though, so I can get some seeds.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?