Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wieslaw59

What July is all about in my garden(picture heavy)

wieslaw59
10 years ago

July is about getting as much bang for my money as possible. The Big Bang comes in August, but July has something that August does not have: Delphiniums

A selection of shots :

{{gwi:255736}}

{{gwi:255738}}

{{gwi:255739}}

{{gwi:255740}}

{{gwi:255741}}

Red and blue

{{gwi:255742}}

Blue and yellow

{{gwi:255743}}

Blue and blue : delphinium Merlin and Lanzentraeger(darker blue)

{{gwi:255744}}

Delphinium seedling

{{gwi:255745}}

Blue and orange

{{gwi:255747}}

Yellow and red

{{gwi:255748}}

Red and blue

{{gwi:255749}}

Veronicastrum virginicum Lavenderturm

{{gwi:255750}}

My oldest delphinium(lost count of years , pre 2000)

{{gwi:255751}}

At evening time

{{gwi:255752}}

Yellow and yellow

A view

Enjoy!

Comments (15)

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Thank you, Wieslaw.

Truly exceptional.

I love all your July colours and colour combinations.

That you'll have a different, but equally beautiful garden in August, is attributable to your skill as a perennial gardener.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Wow!

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

You have brightened my morning!

A couple of questions -

I am finally going to try some delphiniums next year. What ones do you recommend? Belladonnas? Elatum? Something else? Any particular cultivar (hopefully something I can buy this side of the pond!). Any hints for keeping them healthy and happy?

Secondly, what is that puffy yellow flower?

Finally, I love your lilies! Mine are done for the year.

• north53 Z2b MB
    10 years ago

Wieslaw, with all those delphiniums, do you have trouble with the worm that eats the flowers? And if so, how do you cope with it?
    I have the healthiest most robust plants this year, but I see some of them are affected and the bloom is ruined.
    I don't know what this worm is called, but it eats out the bud, hence no flowers. They are tiny and many. If I'm going to go to the trouble of staking etc, I'd like to be rewarded by blooms!

I always look forward to pictures of your wonderful gardens.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Very colorful and beautiful! You have established a nice collection of perennials that look like they're thriving in your conditions. Wow I can't imagine that August gets even more floriferous!

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sunnyborder, mxk3- thanks!

a2Zmom, the yellow fluffy thing is Thalictrum flavum ssp. glaucum. I have 3 belladonnas of which I had Piccolo and Volkerfrieden for several years and Atlantis for 2 years. Piccolo stands exceptionally well(stormproof). For the first time this year it got mildewed so I was forced to cut it down. But normally it is breathtaking .Of the elatum ones I have some I bought and many from seed. The bought ones are mainly of German origin and were created by Karl Foerster in the first half of the last century. I chose those which stand up without staking. Jelitto Seeds had seed from the best cultivars for many years, that's where I bought the seed. But I do not know if they still sell them. I only keep the best seedlings, and throw the floppers out. The English cultivars are mainly good for cut flowers, their florets are too big and too heavy to stand up in the garden , and they need special staking.

North53, now that you mentioned this: resounding YES! And FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE!!! I wouldn't know, but I observed a flock of sparrows landed on 2 plants. There was so many of them , that some florets broke! I immediately checked what was going on, and I could not notice any worms, so I assumed the sparrows just ate the buds for fun. Now I have to check again!

Some more combinations

Phlox and Eryngium alpinum

{{gwi:255755}}

Eryngium alpinum and delphinium seedling

{{gwi:255756}}

Eryngium alpinum from seed are like snowflakes: each has its own pattern of "teeth"

{{gwi:255757}}

{{gwi:255760}}

Aruncus Horatio, I kept it because my wife likes it. It is bigger than I expected, very robust

{{gwi:255762}}

My oldest plant 30+, Lythrum salicaria

{{gwi:255764}}

Here is the delphinium on which sparrows have landed and broke the florets

{{gwi:255765}}

Blue and red

{{gwi:255766}}

This post was edited by wieslaw59 on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 12:08

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

as always.. stunning...

thx for the effort to take the pix.. upload them.. and post them.. i personally know what a chore that can be ...

ken

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Beautiful! You are really making me rethink eryngium. Bought two varieties when I first started gardening, and lost both, and haven't had any since. I might have to rectify that after seeing your photos!

Thank you for sharing!

Dee

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    10 years ago

Beautiful!! I am going to have to research those delphiniums that don't flop. I love delph's and they grow well for me, but they break and flop if I don't stake them. Which is not only a pain, but I don't like the look of stakes in the garden.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Your garden is always amazing. Thanks for posting these stunning pics.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

Wieslaw, I grow that variety of meadow rue but mine does not look like that!

Mine is only two years old and is grown is part shade. I wonder if it just needs time to bulk up? Because the flowers are very wispy at the moment.

• wieslaw59
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Terrene, August has heleniums, phloxes in all colours, helianthus and orientpet lilies. Those combined , with a few others, make the biggest bang here, as far as perennials are concerned.

a2Zmom, I propagated them from seed, and out of 100 seedlings I kept only 2 most fluffy, with bluest foliage, and standing up best. So it was a hard selection. So no wonder they look more spectacular than a random plant you can buy in a nursery.

{{gwi:255768}}

Some more pictures:

Geranium pratense Violaceum Plenum

{{gwi:255769}}

Campanula lactiflora Superba, looks best in the evening

{{gwi:255771}}

{{gwi:255773}}

Cimicifuga dahurica

{{gwi:255774}}
    {{gwi:255775}}

Lilium davidii, one of my absolute favourites

{{gwi:255776}}

Daylily What Nerve!

{{gwi:255777}}

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

LOL, I might get one of those daylilies just for the name! Its awesome!

Dee

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

I agree, thanks for posting. So lovely to see. Interesting also how blooming times of similar plants vary by location.

In a garden walk last week one garden had several hundred different day lilies. Reading the names was half the fun.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

100 seedlings! I assume that they had to grow to a far size for you to know the information you were looking for.

I'm not sure I'd have the room or the patience.