Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alternative for Ditch Lilies???

Posted by Ibanez540r 5 - OH (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 21:15

I need to fill a ditch that runs across my lot along the road (100 ft minus the 10 foot driveway). My entire yard and lawn are finally to where I want them to be except this ugly weed filled ditch. It is difficult to keep weed wacking and looks funny until it levels out to my lushes green lawn.

I was thinking of doing ditch lilies, but my landscapes is in the shades of blue/pink/red/purple/white and I don't think the orange would look right. Is there an alternate that is as maintenance free?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alternative for Ditch Lilies???

Do you want something that spreads like ditch lilies? Is it a wet ditch? Gooseneck loosestrife would be a possibility.

o

Lysimachia clethroides/gooseneck loosestrife is a non-native invasive plant that will quickly take over an entire garden. I wasn't able to find the link to the invasives list published by the USDA but I've seen it and if you check Dave's Garden, you'll find the negatives far outweigh the positives posted by folks who've planted it.

If the ditch mentioned by the OP is a full sun area, there are many suitable substitutes for ditch lilies, including a vast selection of pink/red/purple/white daylilies, scabiosa/pincushion flower, sidalcea malviflora/checkerbloom & iris ensata/Japanese iris. Both red and blue cardinal flower also like a moist site.

o

If it is moist for the most of the summer, you can sow trollius. T.europeus is lemon yellow as well as T.stenopetalus. T.stenopetalus blooms at least one month later. The trollius species from Eastern Asia are nearly all pure orange(asiaticus, chinensis, ircuticus - all gorgeous!)and bloom in summer.But it takes a few years before they are fully developed.

o

there's some daylilys in reds purples whites that are old fashion type tall landscaping daylilys
you don't have your email set up on your page, email me, holly

o

THANK YOU everyone, I will look into the suggestions thus far. The ditch bottom is fairly wet, rarely ever any standing water unless a real heavy rain, but only for a short period. Up the sides is just grass and weeds and then levels off to my lawn. The side up to my lawn is probably a 45 degree angle and about 3 feet.

o
By the way

...BTW this area is not prepped or a bed. Just a wild ditch that I would like to dig holes and plant something in to fill the area rather than weeds and wild grass

Do these suggestions still fit?

o

loosestrife is an INVASIVE in OH

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Yes, daylilies would suit your purpose. If they get weed-wacked a bit or even mowed once in a while, they will be fine. You could throw columbine seeds out there for earlier blooms. Zinnia seeds might be desirable. One or more milkweeds might do well for you. Heavy seeders are ones I would go for.

Whatever you consider, investigate its' tolerance to salt since this ditch probably gets salted from the street run-off - if your road gets plowed/salted.

o

I don't think scabiosa and sidalcea would like to have 'wet feet'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here