Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibanez540r

Alternative for Ditch Lilies???

ibanez540r
12 years ago

I need to fill a ditch that runs across my lot along the road (100 ft minus the 10 foot driveway). My entire yard and lawn are finally to where I want them to be except this ugly weed filled ditch. It is difficult to keep weed wacking and looks funny until it levels out to my lushes green lawn.

I was thinking of doing ditch lilies, but my landscapes is in the shades of blue/pink/red/purple/white and I don't think the orange would look right. Is there an alternate that is as maintenance free?

Comments (15)

• cheleinri
    12 years ago

Do you want something that spreads like ditch lilies? Is it a wet ditch? Gooseneck loosestrife would be a possibility.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Lysimachia clethroides/gooseneck loosestrife is a non-native invasive plant that will quickly take over an entire garden. I wasn't able to find the link to the invasives list published by the USDA but I've seen it and if you check Dave's Garden, you'll find the negatives far outweigh the positives posted by folks who've planted it.

If the ditch mentioned by the OP is a full sun area, there are many suitable substitutes for ditch lilies, including a vast selection of pink/red/purple/white daylilies, scabiosa/pincushion flower, sidalcea malviflora/checkerbloom & iris ensata/Japanese iris. Both red and blue cardinal flower also like a moist site.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

If it is moist for the most of the summer, you can sow trollius. T.europeus is lemon yellow as well as T.stenopetalus. T.stenopetalus blooms at least one month later. The trollius species from Eastern Asia are nearly all pure orange(asiaticus, chinensis, ircuticus - all gorgeous!)and bloom in summer.But it takes a few years before they are fully developed.

• mamasllamas
    12 years ago

there's some daylilys in reds purples whites that are old fashion type tall landscaping daylilys
    you don't have your email set up on your page, email me, holly

• ibanez540r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

THANK YOU everyone, I will look into the suggestions thus far. The ditch bottom is fairly wet, rarely ever any standing water unless a real heavy rain, but only for a short period. Up the sides is just grass and weeds and then levels off to my lawn. The side up to my lawn is probably a 45 degree angle and about 3 feet.

• ibanez540r
    Original Author
    12 years ago

...BTW this area is not prepped or a bed. Just a wild ditch that I would like to dig holes and plant something in to fill the area rather than weeds and wild grass

Do these suggestions still fit?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

loosestrife is an INVASIVE in OH

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Yes, daylilies would suit your purpose. If they get weed-wacked a bit or even mowed once in a while, they will be fine. You could throw columbine seeds out there for earlier blooms. Zinnia seeds might be desirable. One or more milkweeds might do well for you. Heavy seeders are ones I would go for.

Whatever you consider, investigate its' tolerance to salt since this ditch probably gets salted from the street run-off - if your road gets plowed/salted.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

I don't think scabiosa and sidalcea would like to have 'wet feet'

• eayasik
    2 years ago

Ditch lilies are considered to be invasive plants in some states. They get EVERYWHERE!!!!!! But the are deer resistant & would probably work well in that ditch of yours. But be aware that they will end up in other parts of your yard as well as your neighbors. Once established they are very hard to get rid of.
    Most other daylilies are midnight snacks for deer except Stella d’Oro -mostly orange/yellow but now there are some newer purple varieties.
    I had a moist bed around my mailbox that I planted with Louisiana Iris. They are beautiful. Propagate but not invasively. They do need dividing every few years .
    Butterfly bush is also a good alternative.
    Tri-color variegated willow is also a good plant. I planted one every 4-5 feet or so on a steep slope. Full sun. Behaves itself unlike other willows. 4 season interest. Deer “resistant” (is anything really?)

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    2 years ago

Joe Pye Weed, Obedient Plant, milkweed; native plants that will spread

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

What Gracie said, plus blue mist flower - "Conoclinium coelestinum, commonly called blue mistflower, is a late summer to fall-blooming herbaceous perennial that is native to the Eastern United States. It looks like annual ageratum and in that regard is sometimes commonly called hardy ageratum."

https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=j870

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

This is kind of a pointless discussion......you should not plant ditches!!. They were never intended for their ornamental value - they are solely utilitarian and there are good reasons NOT to plant anything there, not the least of which is that they will periodically require clean out.

And since they do not belong to the homeowner but to the local municipality and their utility companies or the DOT, all the more reason not to plant anything of value......certainly no shrubs!!

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

My ditch belongs to me, it fills up with mud which I do have to clear out. Plants that absorb and evaporate run-off help me. I love planting it with wildflowers that I can mow. The ditch lilies come on their own. Planted or not, it's supposed to absorb water and hold it until it slowly sinks into the ground and some evaporates. It's gonna fill up with silt no matter what you plant . . . grass grows crappy in a situation like that--standing water then bone dry. Unless it is a grass accustomed to that. Maybe in some places the county or municipality comes and mows the ditches. Not around here.