10 years ago

Anywhere you suggest?

Bluestone
K. Van Bourgondien & Sons
Bulbs Direct
Brecks
VanEngelen

Are just a few I found while searching.

Looking for spring bulbs for naturalizing and also a few to supplement some beds. Tulips, daffs, crocus, hyacinth, etc. not planning on anything particularly exotic.

Comments (7)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

I get 99% of my bulbs from John Scheepers, and then a few here and there from Brent & Becky's. That's really the only two companies I use, and I have been very happy with them. My favorite is Scheepers, which is my "bread and butter" of bulbs, and Brent and Becky's I buy one or two things from their summer sale (for dessert, lol).

:)
    Dee

• aprilalliums (MA zone 6b)
    10 years ago

Brent & Becky's Bulbs is really really great and they have an extensive selection of bulbs. I also like Colorblends, they have pretty decent prices when you want to buy in bulk, I bought 25 Allium Ambassador from them and they bloomed beautifully.

April

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the quick replies, ladies! I will check them both out!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I like two companies: Brent and Becky's Bulbs (www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/âÂÂ) as well as John Scheepers (www.johnscheepers.com/âÂÂ) and Van Engelen (www.vanengelen.com/âÂÂ) which are the retail and wholesale sides of the same company. I've had great success with both of them and find that their bulbs are larger and so have more flowers than those from catalogs like Brecks which may cost a bit less on some things. I also really like that they have some of the less common bulbs, like Colchicum, reticulated iris which start blooming in March here in the frozen north, fall-blooming crocus, or split corona daffodils.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

I have purchased a lot of bulbs from van engelen, scheeper's 'wholesale' division (bulbs are sold in larger quantities and have a minimum order amount but do not require retail license in order to buy).

I have been overall pleased but have had a few minor issues. I plant to order from them again this year.

I have also purchase lilies from Brent and Becky's spring sale. Wow, those lilies have been fabulous. They bloomed wonderfully the first year and have continued to do very well.

I get a catalogue from Zimmermans and will probably place a small order from this fall for anemones.

Lovely picture April! What are you using as a trellis against your house?

This post was edited by trovesoftrilliums on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 23:16

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

Count me in as another lover of Brent and Becky's.

Although this year I never got a chance to do so, most years I buy a few dahlias from them (I am just too lazy to dig them up at the end of the season.) I've bought other things from them over the years, always extremely healthy.

Two years ago I bought some Kniphofia 'Alcazar' from them and left them in my garage for two weeks during a heat wave completely forgetting that Kniphofia is not a bulb. When I finally planted them, the plants drooped for a while but eventually settled in and are now gorgeous plants. Now that's impressive and a testament to the size and health of what they sent.

• aprilalliums (MA zone 6b)
    10 years ago

Hi trovesoftrilliums,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I'm using an Achla Lattice Trellis, which is okay for right now, but isnt that sturdy and is only a placeholder until I can find something larger and sturdier.

April

Here is a link that might be useful: Achla Lattice Trellis