Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandma_gardener_02

pix - Anybody know why some boxwood is light green?

Lauril Rohde
11 years ago

We have several planters bordered by a boxwood hedge. Two of the bushes are staying a bright green compared to the others. Would this be a matter of how much light they get? All the planters get varying amounts of sunlight.

{{gwi:255999}}

Comments (11)

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Well, I can't really tell for sure from the photo due to the way it's framed and the distances, but it kind of looks to me like the two at this end, which are lighter in color, also have larger foliage. Which lends me to believe that they are a different variety or possibly even a different species. And that would definitely explain the color variation.

If, however, they are all the same variety, I would say that there must be something different about the conditions for these two plants than for the rest. I don't know if I would be thinking so much about a light exposure issue as I would be thinking about some kind of deficiency.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

You may want to ask on the shrub forum.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

I tend toward the different variety theory, but would try feeding lighter plants with nitrogen to see if the leaves will darken over a month or two. I do not think light is involved. Al

• gailwrite
    11 years ago

When that happened in my yard about two applications of iron solved the problem.

• Lauril Rohde
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. I did fertilize all with the same thing a couple of months ago. If I remember correctly, it was all natural organic bone meal.

• Lauril Rohde
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot to say that we did get them all from a reputable tree/shrub nursery that we have bought a lot from with no problems with anything else.

• Lauril Rohde
    Original Author
    11 years ago

By the way, I looked for a "bushes" forum and couldn't find one. Never thought of looking for the "shrub" forum, so now have posted this same question there. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

You're welcome - and good point. There is no "bushes" to click. Several of the forums have several names, no reason not to request a "bushes" link - in the "suggestions" forum, of course ;) I bet a lot of people would click it. Best of luck to your bushes!

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

There are multiple cultivars of boxwood and they could have been tagged wrong at the growers and the retail nursery would never know.

• Lauril Rohde
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. The idea of a different cultivar is probably the best answer.

• adona6ct
    11 years ago

New growth on boxwoods will also appear lighter and be softer than the hardened off "old growth". If you've fertilized that corner more than the rest or shaped it by pruning you could have promoted new growth.

I have a row of twenty two 'Green Velvet' boxwoods and there can be differences in the appearances of different sections depending upon how I've pruned that spring or if I've fertilized surrounding plants. I suppose even providing supplemental water to one area could cause a variation in appearance.

Do you think that might be what's going on?

If not, I also subscribe to the different variety theory.

Pretty hedge and planting area!

Adona

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!