Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this plant.

Posted by dwight2641 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 21:35

My mother got some seed from this plant years (25+) ago at the state fair in Birmingham, AL and has been growing it ever since. She has always just called it her "fair plant". Any ideas as to what it actually is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this plant.

I think it is Cleome.

o

I agree with Echinaceamaniac, Cleome AKA spider flower.

o

Yes, cleome. Someone told me if I had it once I would always have it... but I don't! :( I'll have to sow more seeds next year.

Nice blooms, pretty and different in bouqets, but watch for the little thorn-like spikes! And sticky stems.

Yours doesn't look to be a full bloom head. If you like it, let some go to seed. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did!

Dee

o

why is it potted.. they grew to 4 to 6 feet in MI ... where it is grown as an annual ...

and eventually dropped so much seed.. that it took years to kill them all ...

i hate this plant.. with the heat of a million burning suns.. or this summer.. like adrian mi heat.. lol ...

ken

ps: and it stinks to boot ... literally ....

o

I have to agree with Ken that it does smell bad, but personally I love the flowers. I normally mulch pretty heavily so I have never had any reseeding until last year when I got three babies this year.

There is a new cultivar which only gets 2-3 feet tall which is perfect in my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here