Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eclecticcottage

Which Big Sky Echinachea?

eclecticcottage
11 years ago

At least I think it's a Big Sky echinachea...it was a lost tag special. Ideas?

Comments (9)

• kelsey_grow
    11 years ago

Looks like 'Sundown' but can't be sure. . . is there a 'Twilight' too??

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Looks like Sundown to me. You can compare with the picture below. Each flower can be deformed in its own way, so it is kind of exciting.

{{gwi:256091}}

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I just knew it was an echinacea when I bought it, the buds were still tightly closed so I figured it was going to be a standard purple one. Then it wasn't, lol. Pretty anyway, although I do need to go get me a purple one now :P

wieslaw59, that is one crazy flower. This one overwintered at the nursery I got it from, hopefully that means it's a stronger plant than many seem to be (of the newer ones that are coming out).

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Not many people would call your flower pretty. The range of deformations on mine seemed to be endless. From half flower with petals and half without, to 'each petal with different length' and everything in between.

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's just starting to open...so I would withhold judgement until then as to pretty or not. Although I guess that is in the eye of the beholder, and could be colored by person experiances...I like the color anyway, even if it's not what I thought it was. I thought the nursery I got it from only did white swan and the common purple ones, but they always seem to sell out of white swan so I figured if it overwintered, it must be a purple one.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

This looks just like deformity caused by Asters Yellows disease.

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Rhizo, which of them do you mean has the asters yellow, mine or eclecticcottage's?
    If it is Asters Yellow, then multitude of nurseries were selling it WITH the disease. I have never had asters yellow and had not even heard about it before I found this forum.

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Neither flower looks like it has anything like Aster Yellows to me...

• linlily
    11 years ago

Grow it for a while and see how more of the flowers open. Sometimes all perennials put out a few flowers that are "different" in some aspect without the plant being diseased.

It looks like E. Sundown to me, but my E. Sundown looks similar to my E. Summer Sky. And, Summer Sky is taller and more robust in my garden than my Sundown. Their coloration is similar however.

Linda