Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
id flowering plant please

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5a, Northern IL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 21:45

I biked today at Prairie Trail. Most of the trails are in forest preserves. Anyways, there is plant/shrub about 6 ft tall that I saw. It had white flowers that looks very similar to the flowers of viburnum or dogwood. When I got close to it, I fell in love with the scent. It was so vivid that even from 20 ft away, I can smell it. It was so sweet. It was on an open area. I guess, there were like 15-25 of them.

Anyways, I cut it so I can take a pic once I get home. However, when I arrived home, it was wilted. Hopefully, you'll still be able to id it.

Here she is.

Thanks in advance! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: id flowering plant please

sambucus!

o

I searched for sambucus and the link below is what I found. Based from the description on the link, it doesn't have dark leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sambucus

o

Elderberry. It is in bloom all over New England now. Just Google elderberry to see which species you have. There are so many things you can do with this shrub, from jam to wine.

It's a wonderful large shrub with lots of folklore associated with it. Tends to like moist soil. The Latin name of the genus is Sambucus, as rodja said.

o

Also, it's on an open area, full sun. There were no big trees beside it. It's a forest preserve. So I don't think someone is watering it, just nature.

Ok, I will search for Elderberry. I was thinking of purchasing one but I'm worried that it might be invasive! Like what I said above, I saw them in large groups this morning.

Are they invasive? Also, the fragrance is totally different from lilac. I saw a description earlier on the web and it mentions that the fragrance is similar to lilac. I quite disagree with the article I saw. I can say that it was somewhat similar to the fragrance of Dama de Noche but much more sweeter like a candy.

o

Not invasive but relished by deer.

o

"relished by deer." It all depends. Our white tail deers don't like it so it's a great shrub for our area. I actually just bought another 'Black Lace'.

o

Is black lace also very fragrant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here