Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linlily

Anyone else have Arizona Apricot?

linlily
9 years ago

My Gaillardia Arizona Apricot is now three years old. It was purchased from Garden Harvest Supply and bloomed the first year I bought it. It returned as usual last year and was the same color as the year before. Love that coloration, by the way!

Imagine my surprise when the blooms opened this year and the whole plant now looks like Arizona Sun. All of the shoots that developed from the crown this spring have all bloomed out as Arizona Sun.

Is it possible that the Arizona line reverts back to a short species type of flower? If I had lost the plant over the winter, and seeds from it had all dropped exactly where the crown of Arizona Apricot was, don't you think that at least a few of the shoots that came up would be the original Arizona Apricot too?

I just checked the Arizona line - A. Sun, A. Apricot, and A. Red Shades can all be grown successfully from seeds. I do grow Gaillardia Goblin but it is in a different place, not near to where A. Apricot was planted so I doubt that there was cross pollination going on.

I also had an Arizona Sun purchased, not seed grown by me, and over the course of 4 or 5 years, it got taller and taller and last year I pulled it. It was in the front of the border and probably ended up about 2 feet tall, again resembling a species Blanket Flower, not the 12 inch plant that I started with.

Has anyone else noticed something odd about the Arizona series Gaillardia?

Linda

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Creations Landscape Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Industry Leading Landscape Architects & Designers in Virginia