Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janepa_gw

What is this plant? It is my top priority this summer.

janepa
14 years ago

Can anyone identify this plant for me? I saw it two years ago in this bed, but did not found out it's name. This year I drove by again, and I got up enough nerve to stop and ask the neighbor what it is. She was very pleasant, but could not answer my question. She and the owner share the bed since it is on the boundary. The owner got it at work but does not know anything about it with the exception that it must be a perennial since it comes back each summer. It is a bright magenta/fuchsia to my eyes, but she called it purple. It is erect, and does not seem to flop. It stands approx. 2 1/2' tall. I would guess it is in the salvia/sage family.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Jane

{{gwi:256818}}

{{gwi:256820}}

{{gwi:256821}}

Comments (21)

• hunt4carl
    14 years ago

Pretty sure it's Agastache, but which variety it's hard to know - check out
    the link below to see if you can match the plant color to any one of the several
    varieties they have.

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestone Perennials

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Looks like Lythrum salicaria (Purple Loosestrife), if it is the link below will tell you more about it.

I had a couple of the so called sterile varieties in my garden but got rid of them because we live near an estuary. It's really too bad this is such a invasive plant, I haven't been able to find a good substitute for it.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Lythrum salicaria

• garry_z7a_md
    14 years ago

The plant you have pictured is Lythrum salicaria (Purple Loosestrife). In many states (such as PA) it's considered a noxious weed because it can be highly invasive if left unchecked especially near ponds, lakes, or other waterways. In Pennsylvania the sale and propagation of Purple Loosestrife is apparently prohibited. Some nurseries here in Maryland do carry it, but not many. Most nurseries won't carry it. I actually love this plant. It blooms all summer and puts on a stunning display. I've never had a problem with it becoming invasive or spreading by seed. I may have one of the "sterile" selections (even though even these aren't considered sterile). Like you, I saw this plant in the landscape and could never find it anywhere so I took cuttings of it and propagated it myself. Since then I've spotted it in a couple of nurseries under the cultivar 'Morden's Pink. I've also seen it used in landscapes all over the Jersey Shore.

{{gwi:256822}}

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Here's purple loosetrife growing along the river in Iowa, doesn't look the same to me but surely there are different versions of the stuff. I didn't have but a 3X zoom on that camera, taken July 19, 2003, so the second photo is 100% crop, colors on that cam might have been a little oversaturated.

Until I found out how invasive it is, I wanted to grow some, still would if it wouldn't take over. I think I had some volunteers of it (or something similar) which looked nice, but they didn't come back the following year.

Hope this helps. At the link is one that looks exactly like the plant you want to id to me, says it is loosestrife. Hope the link works; it's a long 'un.

{{gwi:256823}}

{{gwi:256824}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive Plants Assn. WI - Loosestrife

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

What is that pretty grayish lavender plant in the foreground of your second photo?

Also, how did you propagate the loosestrife? If it's legal, I might try it. Would look pretty with Queen Anne's Lace and other native perennials.

• garry_z7a_md
    14 years ago

Aliska...the plant you are referring to in the foreground is Perovskia atriplicifolia (Russian Sage).

In terms of propagating purple loosestrife, very simple......just take cuttings and stick them in moist potting soil. They will root in about a week or so. The trick is to keep the soil constantly moist. The pots you're using to propagate the plants can be put in a tray of standing water.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

The plant is not invasive or aggressive in gardens, but it seeds invasively into wetlands. In the 1950s it had invaded huge areas of marshes in NY state near Poughkeepsie. It was one of the first plants whose name I knew.

• janepa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I need to get to work, but I wanted to thank everyone for your replies. I will post this evening on what I believe it to be and also my long time desire for purple loosestrife.

Thanks again. Jane

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

It IS purple loosestrife and considering its extremely widespread invasive problems - pretty much anywhere in the country with the exception of the very arid Southwest - I'm surprised and a little disconcerted anyone would intentionally grow it. It is a registered invasive species in PA and is illegal to sell, propagate or transport.

As to its behavior in a garden setting, that is really neither here nor there. The plant is very prolific in seed production, the seeds are extremely viable and they are very easily dispersed by wind and wildlife. Its ability to spread by these means allows its placement in garden to pose just as much a risk as if it were growing in a natural area. It doesn't require wetlands to grow in - in my area, loosestrife can bee seen growing along the side of the road and just about any open area, wet or dry.

IMO, growing or planting a species that is a registered invasive in your location is highly irresponsible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple loosestrife - Pennsylvania

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    14 years ago

" I've never had a problem with it becoming invasive or spreading by seed."

But how do you know that? Just because you don't see the seedlings in *your* garden doesn't mean the seeds haven't been deposited elsewhere and have easily germinated.

It is a known highly invasive plant that is wreaking havoc on local ecosystems.

Agree with above - high irresponsible to grow this plant even the "sterile" varieties. Come take a drive in Michigan in July and you'll understand why....

And shame on anyone who knowingly propagates this plant.

• john_4b
    14 years ago

IMO, there are many other non-invasive plants to use and grow as a substitute for any plant that is found to have invasive tendencies, and it is irresponsible to grow, sell, or try to propagate it for use in our gardens. Plants tend to go to seed, seeds are taken by birds and other animals, and spread into wetland areas where they can grow unchecked. It becomes a much larger problem by choking out native species.

• terrene
    14 years ago

Would look pretty with Queen Anne's Lace and other native perennials.

Neither Purple loosestrife nor QAL (Daucus carota) are native. Both are considered invasive/noxious weeds in regions of the US. In Massachusetts, Purple Loosestrife is prohibited from sale or import and it is one of the most invasive plants growing in the state.

Yes some invasive plants are pretty, but unfortunately they run amok and crowd out many other plant species, especially fragile natives. The result is that biodiversity declines, and both flora and fauna species will continue to disappear.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Yes very invasive, we live right across the road from the mouth of a little river, more like a stream. Back in the 80's the banks of this little river were solid with Purple Loosestrife which had almost choked out everything else out.
    Thanks to a group of very dedicated volunteers that come every year about this time the Purple Loosestrife is no more.
    Yes it's very pretty but unfortunately it's a death sentence to native flora which in turn is not good for the fauna.

Annette

• bean_counter_z4
    14 years ago

It isn't prohibited in many places, in fact it is used extensively here in Illinois in commercial plantings (Drs offices, McDonalds, an Optical Center to name a few in my town). The Morden variety is sterile, that means it does not set seed by itself, however it can be pollinated by wild plants if there are any in the immediate area. It will grow in typically dry home gardens and never be a problem. When it gets into wetlands it grows unchecked and forces out native plants that wildlife depend on. Another problem occurs when vendors sell wild lythrum telling the customer it is the Morden strain. Even tho it is lovely, it is better to be safe than sorry and chance it getting into a nearby wetland.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

garry, I've never examined Russian sage that closely, but I especially like yours. The ones I see around here are more feathery driving by.

Thanks for the info about propagation, I can live without it if it can be such a nuisance to others.

I didn't know QAL was not native to the midwest. I like the kind with the one purple eye. But I'll skip that one, too. It does get invasive here. Also chicory which I think is pretty growing along the roadside.

I would like garry's Russian sage though. Where did you get it, garry? I've got purple meadow sage and can look for some veronica or something else, don't want everything spiky but a variety.

Thanks all, will be interesting to read the OP's conclusion.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

bean counter, you're behind the times. This is a listed invasive in more states than not, yours included.

"Current Status
    Purple loosestrife is categorized as an exotic weed under the Illinois Exotic Weed Control Act of 1987. As such, its commercial sale in Illinois is prohibited." Illinois Department of Conservation

• linlily
    14 years ago

How about a Vernonica as a substitute? I received a piece of Eveline in a trade last year and it is a wonderful plant. It may be a little too purple for you, but there are so many different Vernonica out there, you should be able to find a taller pink one. Tickled Pink is pink in my garden but not as tall as the loosestrife that you like Jane.

Here's Eveline
    {{gwi:256825}}

Linda

• janepa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I finally have a minute to check in. The plant that I have posted here does not look to me like the purple loosestrife that I saw growing along the Susquehanna River as you travel from Dauphin to Harrisburg. I saw it several years ago so my mind might be playing tricks on me. I am trying to find an alternative and so far I am seriously considering Carl's agastache. I found a bright rose pink variety offered at High Country, and I believe I saw several colors I like at White Flower Farms. If anyone knows of any other vendors that ship nice size plants please let me know. Also, what is your opinion of astilbe? There are some bright, tall varieties.

As for the purple loosestrife, I know of no others in my area. We are at least 12 miles from the Juniata river, but it sounds like it still would not be acceptable.

Now could someone tell me what to do about thistles? @#$'%&^**%$#@@#! They have completely taken over my large 20' x 50'daylily bed, and the county agent said the only way I could get rid of them is to use vegetation killer, which is not an option.

Thank you. Jane

PS: When I was doing a search on purple loosestrife there was a heading that said "yes, it is beautiful, but you cannot buy it" or something to that effect. I think that garden center is ignorant to flaunt it at their entrance when it is something not permitted to be sold. I wouldn't buy anything from them. Sorry, just had to vent.

• garry_z7a_md
    14 years ago

aliska.....I have a standard Russion Sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia) which tends to be very bushy with dissected leaves, probably the feathery look like you described. I also have a Russian Sage cultivar called 'Longin' (Perovskia atriplicifolia 'Longin') which you may like better. It's much more upright making it much more useful in tighter spaces since it doesn't spread out so much. It's leaves are serrated instead of dissected.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Another substitution for purple loosestrife might be one of the veronicastrums. My favourite is 'Fascination'.

Here is a link that might be useful: veronicastrum 'Fascination'

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

garry, thank you. I wrote both of those in my notes. My those are not easy words. I'll look for one just like yours, tried to start from seed but not getting anywhere. It's supposed to take a long time to germinate, and I'm tired of waiting and hoping, had a lot of failures this time.

janepa, thistles, the Scottish national flower. Before I dug up the front to plant lots of flowers, I let one volunteer thistle grow by my front steps so I could watch its progress. It was interesting and took photographs of the blooms, also got a Monarch on it. But I didn't lop off the seed heads.

So the next year it took me a long time to dig out the hard way all the thistles all over the yard, front and back. That was about 5 years ago and found just one this spring, dug it up. That's a pretty big area, maybe if you do just a few at a time and not let them go to seed like I did. I take an old knife with a serrated blade and cut down around them.

I'm not averse to using Roundup and plan to do it for the first time ever to clear a bunch of junk behind my garage and old gravel driveway that has become overgrown save for one old fern which I will protect. But I'm not looking forward to it. I also need to paint some on some stubborn stuff with runners that is almost impossible to dig all of it up, springs up anywhere it feels like, just when I finally got rid of most of another pesky one, took years of pulling that stuff. Neighbor dispatched his quickly with Roundup.