Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally, a bloom or two.

Posted by aftermidnight Z7b V. Island B.C. (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 23:00

Someone gave me a cutting of Hydrangea aspera so long ago I can't remember who or when. After years of nursing it along it decided to give me a few blooms. I have it planted where it only gets a bit of evening sun, just before the sun disappears behind some tall trees. Anyone else grow this one with the furry leaves?
Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally, a bloom or two.

Oooooh! That looks like it was worth the wait!

o

Awesome! Does it bloom on new wood?

Looks like the love child between Ageratum and Hydrangea, lol. Very cool ;-)
CMK

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 11:15

I like it! I doubt it would bloom in my zone due to bud kill overwinter. Sigh.

o

Christin I think it's one that blooms on old wood, I have never pruned it but it's getting pretty rangy so maybe I'll try cutting one branch back once it's finished flowering. I first saw this hydrangea in the U.B.C. Botanical Garden back in the 80's, now that I think of it perhaps it wasn't given to me, I might have bought a rooted cutting at one of the Mother's Day plant sales they held each year. This is where I bought my first Cardiocrinum, long before they were offered in commerce. I also bought a Dichroa febrifuga here as a rooted cutting, not really hardy for me out in the open garden, after a couple of years I lost it. I'm looking for another one as I think I'd have better luck growing it in my garden room. Alas, I haven't been able to find one locally.

Annette

o

Hydrangea aspera is only hardy to zone 6. And it blooms on old wood, like most macs. Tends to be a big, rangy shrub to go along with that big, felted foliage :-) The one at the Rhododendron Species Garden here is at least 15' tall!

This is one of my favorite hydrangeas, not only for the foliage effect but because the flower color is nearly iridescent. Unfortunately my current garden is too sunny and too small to accommodate but I had a lovely one at my old garden. Annette, yours will just get better and better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here