Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Combination pics #2

miclino
10 years ago

Since the previous thread was getting too big, starting a new one. Same rules though, must be some combination of perennials, shrubs etc and not closeups of individual plants/flowers. Some fantastic pics in the other thread, thanks to all those who contributed.

Ill get it started again, Coreopsis star cluster, gaillardia, sedum autumn charm, druett's variegated campion etc
{{gwi:257380}}

Echinacea pow wow white (taller than I expected), Heuchera and Hakone grass
{{gwi:257381}}

Comments (103)

• pam_whitbyon
    10 years ago

Crunch, I still haven't made it to the Buffalo garden walk! Every time I plan for it, something gets in the way. I love the gardens there, there are so many streets with such charming displays especially the road strips. I forget what they're called. That patch of land between the road and the sidewalk..? lol

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

great pics guys. Love the bee balm border. Got rid of mine, tired of the mildew

Lobelia fan scarlet and white swan
    {{gwi:257409}}

Hydrangea bloom and sedum cherry tart
    {{gwi:257410}}

• blondiesc
    10 years ago

Love this post! Here are a few of mine.

{{gwi:257411}}{{gwi:257413}}

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Bondie, cool pics! They are like glamor shots of the plants.

Miclino, that sedum is fantastic! Such a rich color that plays really well with your hydrangea and the brick walkway.

CrunchPA, that veronica is a vibrant color, love it! I think that is my favorite garden color these days - it goes with purple and it goes with pink and it's just SO cheerful!

This thread is great. An endless flow of ideas. I'll have to get back out there with my camera to see if I can capture anything worthy of posting.

• blondiesc
    10 years ago

Thank you, karin_mt, I love that!

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

I can only take photos with my phone right now, so please forgive if they are overexposed and/or or out of focus.

Here is a snapshot from last week showing Echinacea 'Milkshake', Geranium 'Rozanne', Eryngium grandiflorum, Agastache 'Blue Blazes' and a sprig of Geum 'Totally Tangerine' in the background.

• franeli
    10 years ago

Violas,feverfew,and lamb's ears

• blondiesc
    10 years ago

Franeli - Your violas combo is stunning!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Franeli, are those violas growing now? Very pretty!

Blondie, I love your lilies and the vivid pink Hibiscus is lucious! I love the pleats in the petals.

• franeli
    10 years ago

prairiemoon2,
    Yes,violas in all shades of purple are still blooming in my north facing garden. They'll be pulled in Aug. and replaced with mums for September.
    I also keep a feverfew 'nursery' and replace aging feverfew plants as needed. Retirement is a full time job when you're a gardener :)

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

A surprising pleasing outcome to a combo that was a little startling in early May. Heuchera Peach Melba abd Euphorbia Bonfire

{{gwi:257414}}

Here it is today, rather pleasing
    {{gwi:257415}}

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Franelli that's a great pic. What sedum is that?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Franelli, that is a great bed. I love it. Violas are one of my favorites and I just don't know why they don't usually work out for me beyond the very first 4-6weeks of spring. I've always thought it was heat and age of the plant. And I'm thinking of my North facing areas and I doubt I could grow those there. Even my ferns are not exactly exuberant there. Maybe because there is a building behind the bed, evergreen trees 25 feet away to it's north, and a mature Maple to the bed's East. (g)

Isn't it as hot there this summer as it's been in Massachusetts? Your whole bed looks very fresh and beautiful considering the weather. You must have some tricks up your sleeve? :-) Those violas look like they were just planted fresh about 2 weeks ago.

Also love the edge of that walkway or patio that is showing on the right side. It looks textured, like pebbles were pushed into concrete. I like it. And I would also like to know what that sedum is. Looks like you get a lot of light there, no?

I'm definitely impressed. :-)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

'Fran', that is a breathtaking swathe of blue and silver. When did you take those 2 pictures? Do you hand water or do you have a in ground system? Absolutely gorgeous.

I will make a note of using violas next season.

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

A ground cover that has worked well was an unexpected result of planting Dicentra Formosa in a shady corner, then a couple years later several feet in front of it I planted Hypericum calycinum to fill in the foreground . The two have blended beautifully spreading into each other.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

gazania, that is a pretty effect. I would not have guessed those were two different plants in there. Do they ever bloom at the same time? How does it look the rest of the year when it is out of bloom?

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

The pic was taken on June 5th. The Dicentra had been in bloom for 6 weeks or more and lasted another 2 weeks or so with slowly diminishing flowers. Looking at it today I saw just two flower sprigs from it, and a dozen or so of the Hypericum yellow flowers showing. Blooming will be sporadic from each of them from now on I suspect. Especially so since it has been so hot here. But the combining leaf forms are attractive

• gazania_gw
    10 years ago

Prairiemoon, I should have added that the planting looks good till freezing temps kill back the hypericum in mid winter. The Dicentra foliage also dies back eventually, but comes back in very early spring. The dead leaves of the Hypericum should be cleaned out early so as not to disturb it. This year I didn't get to it till the new growth of both was well along and It actually had cleaned itself up on it's own by covering up all the unsightly brown with fresh green.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Thanks gazania, sounds like you have a winning combination there. I like it.

• boday
    10 years ago

Once more with feeling. Carpet Rose with Baby's Breath.

• boday
    10 years ago

Once more with feeling. Carpet Rose with Baby's Breath.

{{!gwi}}

10 years ago

The bb and the rose is a very unique shot boday...beautiful.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 13:38

• boday
    10 years ago

Thank you.

As you can tell, I had my nose in the grass. On my belly like a reptile.

The BB is going into the flowerbed next year. Won't get a chance to flop.

• crunchpa
    10 years ago

Great effort.........thanks to all for a nice thread

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stargazer lilies and Caryopteris Snow fairy

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The same pic as above
    vanilla strawberry hydrangea in background, helenium mardi gras and nora leigh phlox in background
    {{gwi:257417}}

• wagonwheel
    10 years ago

2 of my 6 garden areas

• blondiesc
    10 years ago

Very nice wagonwheel! Love the contrast in forms and textures!

10 years ago

"Little Goldstar" with Knautia "Thunder and Lightning" in the foreground.

10 years ago

"Tuscan Sun" Heliopsis with "Havana Blues" geranium

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Really nice photos Rouge! They both have that classic late-summer look with the golden-yellow but still look fresh and crisp. All 4 of those plants look terrific!

• Delphinium zone5
    10 years ago

A favorite combo of mine is Galahad delphiniums and Jackmanii clematis. Pic was from mid June.

10 years ago

Wonderful picture 'gardener'. Bright white with dark blue/purple is a striking contrast.

10 years ago

"Lucy" Hibiscus (tree standard) with "Splendide" Thalictrum.

(what you see is 8 feet off the ground)

(My partner keeps bugging me to cut back the "Splendide" as it is covering too much of the flowering "Lucy"!)

{{gwi:257420}}

Corydalis Lutea with "Endless Summer" Hydrangea and Persicaria "Golden Arrows"

{{gwi:257421}}

• boday
    10 years ago

Mercury Rising Coreopsis, Pow Wow Ech and 'Appleblossom' Flower Carpet Rose.

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sedum purple emperor and autumn charm

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

same plants as above with coreopsis showstopper and ivory halo dogwood in background.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

Some great combinations in this thread! The Hydrangea and Persicaria 'Golden Arrows' is an unusual combination; I don't grow those plants, but want to remember the shape combination. Interesting.

10 years ago

miclino wrote: I'm definitely going to have to try Kalimeris.

UPDATE:

We have had no rain but rather picture perfect sunny weather for now 3 weeks and so it is noticeable as to those plants that are able to hold their own in late August. And this same Kalimeris is one such perennial. Here it is 6 weeks after the first picture I posted above..no supplemental water.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 20:43

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Coreopsis Star cluster and Helenium fuego. The helenium foliage was ratty, mildewed and had to be staked. I could not stand the bright orange hypnotic wheel like flowers and had to cut it after I took the picture!

10 years ago

I especially love that Helenium miclino...gorgeous.

10 years ago

I know these two really don't go together but it is as it is.

An unnamed aster (nepalenis?) and Oenothera "Lemon Drop".

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    10 years ago

My combo is Salvia guaranitica âÂÂVan Remsenâ and Tradescantia pallida âÂÂPurple Heart,â the purple foliage planted along the wall in the picture that has a pinkish purple flower.

The salvia is blue in the shade but turns violet blue or purple in the sun, grows to 7 ft tall and has been blooming for 4 months. Hummingbirds love it. Picture taken 9/21/13.

{{gwi:257423}}

• posierosie_zone7a
    5 years ago

Nice thread - bumping for your reading pleasure!

• posierosie_zone7a
    5 years ago

Bella Rosa, those are amazing! Maybe we should start a new thread for 2018?

• bella rosa
    5 years ago

I agree. My pics are from 2017.

• bella rosa
    5 years ago

One more pic from 2017.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    5 years ago

That's a gorgeous sight! :-). What roses are those and how long did it take to grow and train them that way?

• bella rosa
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks! On the left, there's William Baffin (fuschia) and Jeanne Lajoie (pink) along with a yellow honeysuckle and catmint (as an edger). On the right, the climbing pink rose is John Davis with clematis Huldine (white) and Madame Julia Correvon (red) growing through it. William Baffin was planted probably around 20 years ago. John Davis is probably around 10 years old. So, yes, it's an old planting, but they bloom reliable every year. Can't go wrong with Canadian Explorer roses in cold regions. That's the first thing I look for in a rose - hardiness. Then disease resistance.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm