Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Combination pics #2

Posted by miclino 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 23:03

Since the previous thread was getting too big, starting a new one. Same rules though, must be some combination of perennials, shrubs etc and not closeups of individual plants/flowers. Some fantastic pics in the other thread, thanks to all those who contributed.

Ill get it started again, Coreopsis star cluster, gaillardia, sedum autumn charm, druett's variegated campion etc
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Echinacea pow wow white (taller than I expected), Heuchera and Hakone grass

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Combination pics #2

Some more
Druett's variegated campion, blue fescue and alternanthera

Calocephalus and knautia thunder and lightning with veronica royal candles

o

I have a wild kind of garden with lots of unruly plants. This year the echiums were quite attractive. Here's one in front of a clump of siberian iris. And another behind a mass of lamb's ear.
 photo 100_4151_zps02cda7c0.jpg
 photo 100_4136_zps41e0224e.jpg
In this shot the dianthus on the left side planted themselves.
 photo 100_4135_zps2e2bed53.jpg

o

I have a few today. Blooming in this one are: Rudbeckia "Prairie Sun", Echinacea "Sombrero Sandy Yellow" and Coreopsis "Star Cluster".

o

A little "zen" garden I started in spring. Japanese Maple, lots of hostas, astilbe, heuchera and vinca minor. I can't wait until this one fills in. Should be a nice place to relax.

o

Jackmanii Clematis scrambling over the porch railing. It's casting enough shade to grow hostas "Flemish Sky", "Lakeside Paisley Print" and "Thumbelina" in pots underneath.

o

Lilies, Grasses, Echinacea, Phlox...Weeds...

o

These have been great threads. Thanks all for posting.

I am intrigued to see lilies and echinacea near a fern, net cub.

Here's geranium, baptista foliage, annual larkspur, knockout rose foliage, salvia farinacea, white hyssop, Siberian iris foliage.

o

To the side of the same area.
White echinacea, rudbeckia hirta, white hyssop, campanula rapunculoides (I've read this can be invasive--it came to my garden with some peony divisions) , seed sown yarrow, parsley.

Those echium are lovely. Do you have a greenhouse?

o

Clematis 'Little Bas' growing up into a Hydrangea paniculata, surrounded by a variety of evergreens for year round interest. I like how long-blooming this combination is; Little Bas has been blooming for more than 2 weeks already, and the Hydrangea for about a week. The clematis will bloom for at least a couple more weeks if not longer, and the Hydrangea blossoms will become increasingly pink as we move towards fall, but won't stop blooming until a hard freeze.

o

That echium looks great! How long does it bloom? I came across red feathers echium at a nursery last year but it was too expensive and I had never heard about it.

Troves, that first pic is great.

nhbabs, trying to get a clematis to grow into a lilac tree. Any special trick to it? I may have planted the clem too close to the base of the tree. Any chance we can get a closeup of that hydrangea and clem?

o

The echium in my pictures is E. russicum. It was easy from seed and is perennial in my garden. It self seeds into the pathway of the garden, but is not easily transplanted. It has a tap root. The bloom period is not very long, but I will cut it back and will get a secondary bloom.
It is happy in the two locations I have it in.
Here it is in this narrow driveway bed. That is anemone sylvestris in the background, another early bloomer.
 photo 100_4141_zps508a832a.jpg

o

trovesoftrilliums, that is a very pretty bed. Do you have to stake the larkspur? They reseed, right? Which geranium is that in the front? Is your Baptisia in bloom now?

Babs, what a nice combo that is. I like the different colors and textures. I have a ‘Pink Diamond' Hydrangea that I am considering doing that to, but haven’t quite made up my mind which clematis to try. I’d like it to bloom before the shrub. How long did it take to get the clematis into the shrub? Is that a Rhododendron in the front? That’s new growth, right?

north53, wow, you live in Manitoba, zone 1b? I think you are the first GW member I’ve noticed that lived that far north. Nice driveway border.

o

Miclino - To get a clematis to grow into a large shrub, I plant the clematis so that it will be outside the drip line of the shrub in 10 years. If there aren't low branches reaching that far out, I give it something to climb to get into the shrub such as a low obelisk or a bamboo stake or two.

o

Nice evergreens and clematis/shrub mix Nhbabs!

I like all the pretty spikey flowers in people's beds, Veronica, Echium (never heard of that), and larkspur. Your larkspur and S. faricenea looks really nice Troves, I can never get them to grow like that! Maybe not enough sun.

North53 what are the pretty pink spikey flowers? Are those Heuchera flowers?

o

Looks like I will be moving my clematis....its far too close to the tree.

o

Yes, to answer your question Terrene, that is heuchera. You have good eyes!

o

I just moved to the place that I am in last year, so I have acquired some plants but so far they are just along a 50 ft board fence in a 4 ft wide bed. My husband calls it the "miracle mile". Here are three that are blooming now and look okay together, old standbys, I guess, but I still like them.

o

I love the old stand bys

photo 578293_591220710889152_2086163166_n_zps3fee71e1.jpg
 photo 482170_591220334222523_1428350423_n_zps0f32b700.jpg
 photo 264727_242597795751447_2840817_n_zps8f4cf7ca.jpg

o

Prairie: yes the larkspur reseeds. I initially fall sowed a pack of seed 3 years ago when we moved here and they have been with me since then. I mulch heavily spots where I do not want them to reseed. I do not stake them. They are light and airy. This morning we had a heavy rain and they are still looking good. Some that grow in the shade tend to grow toward the light. They will poop out soon though as the heat kicks in. Then I usually have cosmos and zinnias replacing them.

The geranium was labelled as Johnson's Blue but I wonder if it is a different variety. It had been blooming since mid-early spring. The baptista blooms spring. Those two plants in the photo are 3yo started from seed which didn't bloom this year.

Terrene: The salvia is growing in some of the worst soil in my yard (situation where the top soil was removed snd sold, leaving a dense clay for most of our yard).I appreciate them hanging in there, but they do reseed a lot. That is a full sun spot.

Ah, I guess that is a Russian echium. How interesting. Is the color rose tinged or more russet toned? I see plant world carries the seed too.

From the picture I noticed how very spikey that part of the garden is. I do have other plant shapes, but not visible from that particular angle. Looking at ones garden from pictures does give a new perspective.

I like growing old standbys and different varieties as well. I just have to grow lots of plants! :)

Mostly not in bloom, but I enjoy this scene in my back yard, fenced off from deer although the deer do not bother foxtail lily, they do munch bee balm, phlox and lilies.

o

aseedisapromise, very pretty color combination. I especially love the color of the lily. Is that a ‘Purple Rain’ salvia?

Sammy, look at that butterfly, great shot! Very colorful garden!

trovesoftrilliums, I love spikey flowers too and those larkspur really do the trick. I’ve had some but single colors and one here and there. I like your colors together and a patch of them like that. And not having to stake them is really great too. You haven’t had heat yet? We’ve had a lot of it already.

o

Miclino - I love the blue fescue in the farther up pic that you posted. I have been wanting to buy some, but was worried about how it spreads. Don't want anything that will take over the bed. Does it stay in the original clump or does it like to move and groove? Thanks!

o

Daylilies, firecracker, yarrow and a variegated miscanthus.

o

I really don't think it spreads but then I have had it for one season only.

o

pam, that is a stunning combination. My variegated miscanthus in dryish soil is doing pathetically......

o

Thanks, Miclino! Awww, what a shame. You know, last year I thought I'd lost this one in our drought. It just stopped growing around this time, never had any of the usual plumes, and got just really brittle. So I was really happy to see it come back. And we've had so much rain this year that i haven't had the hose out even once.

o

Wow Pam, nice! That daylily is spectacular and is a nice color with that hint of apricot. Also, that whole grouping has really nice balance between the shapes, sizes and colors. Well done!

NHBabs, ooh, that is a magnificent combo of clematis and hydrangea. That's not so easy to achieve, but you have executed it perfectly!

North53, at your first photo I thought "this person must live in a warm zone." How wrong I am! I have never seen echium, very neat! Plus a yellow Siberian iris, hmm, nice.

Troves, we have similar tastes in plants and I really like your groupings of purple-ish/pinkish forms. I planted annual larkspur probably 7 years ago but I can always count on a few plants coming up here and there in the spring. It's a great cutting flower but I can't seem to bring myself to cut it because it's too cute.

Micolo, I like your blue fescue too, but mine did seed itself terribly so I took it all out. I wonder if there are some types that don't re-seed so much? Nice combo with excellent colors that play off each other - especially because it does not rely on flowers.

Nice work everyone, this is yet another inspiring thread!

o

I like the spikeys, too. I like seeing everyone's plants and their combinations. I am so unimaginative it really helps. I like seeing the shrubs and vines as I have this very loooong fence here.

Yes, prairiemoon, that is a Purple Rain. Under it are some pretty little purple violas. Things are pretty floppy around here as we have, like everyone else, had so much rain. Being in the middle of the country we have years that we are dry like the west, and then years like this one where rainfall is like in the east. I even saw some lightning bugs in my yard the other night!

Here is a shade "combination":

o

"Becky and Holly":

"Holly" was at her prime a week or so ago but it is only this week that "Becky" started to open up.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 19:52

o

By next week the large stand of as yet not flowering phlox will be open (just to the left of the brown allium) and should make for a complete swathe of colour but I thought I would post today as we are expecting heavy thunderstorms and so at worst some of what you see will be flattened.

o

Karin, I thought I had read that Elijah blue fescue is sterile. The other blues do reseed. I would check a more reliable source than myself though:)

o

Rouge

Ya done good. Well worthy

Question; The pale blue flowers? Intriguing

I assume the phlox is Blue Paradise or David with the caveat that assume split up makes me look foolish. I see the Tuscan Sun is looking good.

Never assume.

This post was edited by boday on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 17:30

o

Thanks "boday.

The pale blue flowers (just above "Royal Candles"?) are "Kalimeris incisa Blue Star".

The phlox are actually "Peppertwist". They are incredibly long blooming...actually almost too long!

Yes these TS are incredible bloomers!

o

"Kalimeris incisa Blue Star", Zone 5 eh? Pity.

o

Hey boday, I think I recall you saying somewhere that your property was in a bit of a more moderate micro-climate? If I were you I would always be pushing the zone envelope. I bet KIBS would survive a 'Peg winter!

o

Rouge that another great pic. I feel like going out and digging up my yard! I'm definitely going to have to try Kalimeris.

o

miclino, don't jump so fast. I have seen enough of your garden pics to be envious myself. And remember I only show you the good stuff.

I first planted KIBS last season after several GW members raved about it. (As I recall 'patty' really likes this plant).

For those of you that haven't seen it in person I will post some better pictures of it this week.

o

I love this thread. It certainly helps to have a visual for inspiration. Here I have Calla Lilly and Asiatic Lily
From St V's

Daylily and Coneflower

From St V's

o

aseedisapromise, we’re floppy with all the rain here too. At least a little more than usual, but I have that ‘Purple Rain’ and for me, it always opens up in the middle with the weight of the blooms. I just got through deadheading mine.

Lightening bugs? Wow, I haven’t seen those
in decades…lol. That would be very exciting to me if I had them near us.

Nice foliage colors together. Heucherella? Or Tiarella? Not sure what that is on the right unless it’s Huechera.

You have lots of blooms and color in your garden, rouge21!

crunchpa, Calla lily in zone 5? I thought those were not so hardy? Very pretty together.

o

That mass of coneflowers is impressive 'pa.

o

boday and miclino, here is a close-up of one of the 2nd year KIBS.

(Next year I will do a trim of these plants in May just to reduce the overall size and to keep it looking neater)

o

ohhh rouge, that is awesome. I am deeply ashamed of my Kalimeris! It's not the same variety but in my new yard it's just not picking up. How does 4 leaves sound? lol. It was almost invasive at the old house.

o

Oh prairie, that second photo was a joke of sorts. Those are heucheras, Miracle and Marvelous Marble. Behind them is my neighbor's giant patch of garlic mustard, quite the combo. But I asked him if I could pull it, and he said yes. Actually, he sent his hired teenager to weed it. So I only had to sort of clean it up. Well, for now anyway. It's hard because in the spring it is one of the first few green things, and like a sight for sore eyes. So I'm not so good at pulling it up right away. Since I learned that it is allelopathic to the trees, I am better about it, and at least got it out on my side of the fence.

o

Echo the great looking plant. I wanna.

You were right about the push and it is labeled zones four to five.

Note to self - And how come I keep missing out on interesting plants. Hmm, maybe I can replace the Nepeta.

Question - how tall and wide in the one year?

o

The Calla do come back in here in zone 5b. I remove some to make sure that the extreme winter that kills them doesn't wipe me out. We get large amounts of snow for insulation, I am sure it helps. The one in the photo was left in the ground. Canna come back if they are near the foundation but less reliably.

o

Earlier this year, I really liked this combination, Salvia Eveline and Gas Plant:

And this one of my old-fashioned, no-special-cultivar heuchera with Huskers Red penstemon (pre-bloom):

o

OMGosh, that's funny, aseedisapromise! I wasn't really paying attention to the plant behind...lol. So that is garlic mustard?! I have had a weed creeping in my yard from my neighbor's and I think this might be it. I'm going to have to take a photo of it this weekend when I get the chance, to compare it. It has really increased in behind an arborvitae, out of my sight most of the time. Not looking forward to getting in there. Will they keep coming back after I pull them?

crunchpa, Well, it is a very pretty Cala lily and well worth it to keep it coming back one way or the other!

deeje, gas plants are so different looking and the plant looks so good. Love that contrast with that old fashioned huechera and the Penstemon.

o

Thanks, prairiemoon2! I love gas plant, although it doesn't love me, and have several.

Google "phytophotodermatitis" -- but not the images unless you have a fairly strong constitution -- to learn what happened to my hands and shoulder-blades this year when I cut them back. :(

Lesson learned: always wear sunscreen and your gloves!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Tumblr feed for more of my garden photos

o

Oooh, I like the Husker red and the heuchera together. Very nice.
I have read that gas plant can be hard on folks. I think it is pretty, though.
We have open winters a lot, so I think I'll keep my callas in pots. I really miss the really big ones I remember from when we lived in San Diego, though.
The KIBS is new to me. I'm happy to look at everyone's photos and see so many neat things. Thanks.

o

Rudbeckia and a Veronica that I do not know the name of.

From St V's

o

Helenium mardi gras and Caryopteris snow fairy

o

Verbena, hydrangea (limelight) and cosmos and a daylily
 photo DSC_0821.jpg
Swamp milkweed and coneflower
 photo DSC_0491.jpg
Geranium rozanne, persicaria (in pots because it takes over), heuchera
 photo IMG_0032.jpg
 photo IMG_0045.jpg

o

Here's my bee balm at its most prolific in 5 years, lol. Usually I can hope for 2 or 3 stems so I figure I just haven't found the right place for it yet. Bee balm with pesky Kwanso ditchlilies, with whom I have a love hate relationship. Up till this year, I had a rudbeckia variety that always came up from seed, which made this color palette a bit nicer, in my opinion. In the background are shasta daises which are nearing their end.

Miclino, i LOVE that helenium. wow. Especially how it goes with the dark pink.

Deeje, love the coral bells with huskers red! That gives me a great idea for a particular spot in one of my shade areas. This is my first year with coral bells heuchera and I can't believe the length of their bloom time!

Gumneck, that first pic is a really pretty combination!

o

Thanks for the pics Pam. I think I will head over to the Buffalo Garden Walk this year. I haven't been in a couple years. Lots of combos there. I can't imagine a better Garden Walk than the one the people of Buffalo put on. I truly enjoy my visits.

o

Crunch, I still haven't made it to the Buffalo garden walk! Every time I plan for it, something gets in the way. I love the gardens there, there are so many streets with such charming displays especially the road strips. I forget what they're called. That patch of land between the road and the sidewalk..? lol

o

great pics guys. Love the bee balm border. Got rid of mine, tired of the mildew

Lobelia fan scarlet and white swan

Hydrangea bloom and sedum cherry tart

o

Love this post! Here are a few of mine.

photo IMG_0610PS.jpg photo   <BR><a href= photo IMG_0621.jpg

o

Bondie, cool pics! They are like glamor shots of the plants.

Miclino, that sedum is fantastic! Such a rich color that plays really well with your hydrangea and the brick walkway.

CrunchPA, that veronica is a vibrant color, love it! I think that is my favorite garden color these days - it goes with purple and it goes with pink and it's just SO cheerful!

This thread is great. An endless flow of ideas. I'll have to get back out there with my camera to see if I can capture anything worthy of posting.

o

Thank you, karin_mt, I love that!

o

I can only take photos with my phone right now, so please forgive if they are overexposed and/or or out of focus.

Here is a snapshot from last week showing Echinacea 'Milkshake', Geranium 'Rozanne', Eryngium grandiflorum, Agastache 'Blue Blazes' and a sprig of Geum 'Totally Tangerine' in the background.

o

Violas,feverfew,and lamb's ears

o

Franeli - Your violas combo is stunning!

o

Franeli, are those violas growing now? Very pretty!

Blondie, I love your lilies and the vivid pink Hibiscus is lucious! I love the pleats in the petals.

o

prairiemoon2,
Yes,violas in all shades of purple are still blooming in my north facing garden. They'll be pulled in Aug. and replaced with mums for September.
I also keep a feverfew 'nursery' and replace aging feverfew plants as needed. Retirement is a full time job when you're a gardener :)

o

A surprising pleasing outcome to a combo that was a little startling in early May. Heuchera Peach Melba abd Euphorbia Bonfire

photo IMG_0279_zpse20cb474.jpg

Here it is today, rather pleasing
 photo IMG_0587_zpsbd64a193.jpg

o

Franelli that's a great pic. What sedum is that?

o

Franelli, that is a great bed. I love it. Violas are one of my favorites and I just don't know why they don't usually work out for me beyond the very first 4-6weeks of spring. I've always thought it was heat and age of the plant. And I'm thinking of my North facing areas and I doubt I could grow those there. Even my ferns are not exactly exuberant there. Maybe because there is a building behind the bed, evergreen trees 25 feet away to it's north, and a mature Maple to the bed's East. (g)

Isn't it as hot there this summer as it's been in Massachusetts? Your whole bed looks very fresh and beautiful considering the weather. You must have some tricks up your sleeve? :-) Those violas look like they were just planted fresh about 2 weeks ago.

Also love the edge of that walkway or patio that is showing on the right side. It looks textured, like pebbles were pushed into concrete. I like it. And I would also like to know what that sedum is. Looks like you get a lot of light there, no?

I'm definitely impressed. :-)

o

'Fran', that is a breathtaking swathe of blue and silver. When did you take those 2 pictures? Do you hand water or do you have a in ground system? Absolutely gorgeous.

I will make a note of using violas next season.

o

A ground cover that has worked well was an unexpected result of planting Dicentra Formosa in a shady corner, then a couple years later several feet in front of it I planted Hypericum calycinum to fill in the foreground . The two have blended beautifully spreading into each other.

o

gazania, that is a pretty effect. I would not have guessed those were two different plants in there. Do they ever bloom at the same time? How does it look the rest of the year when it is out of bloom?

o

The pic was taken on June 5th. The Dicentra had been in bloom for 6 weeks or more and lasted another 2 weeks or so with slowly diminishing flowers. Looking at it today I saw just two flower sprigs from it, and a dozen or so of the Hypericum yellow flowers showing. Blooming will be sporadic from each of them from now on I suspect. Especially so since it has been so hot here. But the combining leaf forms are attractive

o

Prairiemoon, I should have added that the planting looks good till freezing temps kill back the hypericum in mid winter. The Dicentra foliage also dies back eventually, but comes back in very early spring. The dead leaves of the Hypericum should be cleaned out early so as not to disturb it. This year I didn't get to it till the new growth of both was well along and It actually had cleaned itself up on it's own by covering up all the unsightly brown with fresh green.

o

Thanks gazania, sounds like you have a winning combination there. I like it.

o

Once more with feeling. Carpet Rose with Baby's Breath.

o

Once more with feeling. Carpet Rose with Baby's Breath.

o

The bb and the rose is a very unique shot boday...beautiful.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 13:38

o

Thank you.

As you can tell, I had my nose in the grass. On my belly like a reptile.

The BB is going into the flowerbed next year. Won't get a chance to flop.

o

Great effort.........thanks to all for a nice thread

o

Stargazer lilies and Caryopteris Snow fairy

o

The same pic as above
vanilla strawberry hydrangea in background, helenium mardi gras and nora leigh phlox in background

o

2 of my 6 garden areas

o

Very nice wagonwheel! Love the contrast in forms and textures!

o

"Little Goldstar" with Knautia "Thunder and Lightning" in the foreground.

o

"Tuscan Sun" Heliopsis with "Havana Blues" geranium

o

Really nice photos Rouge! They both have that classic late-summer look with the golden-yellow but still look fresh and crisp. All 4 of those plants look terrific!

o

A favorite combo of mine is Galahad delphiniums and Jackmanii clematis. Pic was from mid June.

o

Wonderful picture 'gardener'. Bright white with dark blue/purple is a striking contrast.

o

"Lucy" Hibiscus (tree standard) with "Splendide" Thalictrum.

(what you see is 8 feet off the ground)

(My partner keeps bugging me to cut back the "Splendide" as it is covering too much of the flowering "Lucy"!)

photo P1010751_1_zps70963abb.jpg

Corydalis Lutea with "Endless Summer" Hydrangea and Persicaria "Golden Arrows"

photo P1010746_1_zpse406ec47.jpg

o

Mercury Rising Coreopsis, Pow Wow Ech and 'Appleblossom' Flower Carpet Rose.

o

Sedum purple emperor and autumn charm

o

same plants as above with coreopsis showstopper and ivory halo dogwood in background.

o

Some great combinations in this thread! The Hydrangea and Persicaria 'Golden Arrows' is an unusual combination; I don't grow those plants, but want to remember the shape combination. Interesting.

o

miclino wrote: I'm definitely going to have to try Kalimeris.

UPDATE:

We have had no rain but rather picture perfect sunny weather for now 3 weeks and so it is noticeable as to those plants that are able to hold their own in late August. And this same Kalimeris is one such perennial. Here it is 6 weeks after the first picture I posted above..no supplemental water.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 20:43

o

Coreopsis Star cluster and Helenium fuego. The helenium foliage was ratty, mildewed and had to be staked. I could not stand the bright orange hypnotic wheel like flowers and had to cut it after I took the picture!

o

I especially love that Helenium miclino...gorgeous.

o

I know these two really don't go together but it is as it is.

An unnamed aster (nepalenis?) and Oenothera "Lemon Drop".

o

My combo is Salvia guaranitica ‘Van Remsen’ and Tradescantia pallida ‘Purple Heart,’ the purple foliage planted along the wall in the picture that has a pinkish purple flower.

The salvia is blue in the shade but turns violet blue or purple in the sun, grows to 7 ft tall and has been blooming for 4 months. Hummingbirds love it. Picture taken 9/21/13.

photo SalviaVanRemsen20130921_zps1d95dc8d.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here