Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

update us on long-lived echinaceas

Marie Tulin
11 years ago

I am amazed to see reputable nurseries still sell the Saul series of Echs: Sundown, Harvest Moon and others. I know many gardeners, myself included, saw these expensive investments fade away over a few years or grow distorted and unattractive flowers.

If you have echinacea that have lived in your garden for 3 or more seasons, thrived, and kept their advertised color and petal please tell us.

For the record, in my garden the only survivor of a half dozen varieties is good old Magnus.

Thanks, Idabean

Comments (6)

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

There are many people who do not read 'warnings' so they can still sell it.
    I have Razzamatazz still looking strong in 4th year, Alaska and Avalanche in 3rd year. They still look good. Out of several plants of Coconut lime there are two left in 3rd year, and 1 Pink Double Delight , but it has never been strong.They are not blooming yet, but last year flowers on Pink Delight were not that big delight.
    Out of the newer ones the best faring is Irresistable where both plants survived into second year, 1 of them looks bigger than last year and blooming nicely. Out of 4 plants of Hot Papaya 3 survived into second year(the smallest died), one looks shrunk. The list of goners is long.
    Generally people report Echinaceas as short-lived here.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

I've had "Magnus" and "White Swan" for a few years, these are old tried-and-true cultivars that perform well.

My "Pink Poodle" is doing well, it's on its third year and looks fantastic, really took off this year. I have a feeling this one is going to fade into the annals of cultivars that flopped, since it seems this one overall has not performed well for others and I only saw it at one local nursery this year (whereas previously it seems it was for sale everywhere I turned). I love it, though :0)

• debbiecz3
    11 years ago

Ditto for Magnus and White Swan which are definately tried and true. I also have Green With Envy which is in its third year and looking good so hope it will be a keeper. I succumbed to impulse and bought Tiki Torch but sounds like I will regret it as it has not been given a very good review; oh well, live and learn.

• linlily
    11 years ago

After 5 years, I still have all my Saul series that you mentioned - Sunrise, Summer Sky, Harvest Moon, and Sunset. White Swan is 5 years old too. This is the third year for Ruby Star. My Tiki Torch look-a-like volunteer seedling is 2 years old, as is Milk Shake, and Pow Wow Wild Berry. All are healthy and doing well. The color of Pow Wow Wild Berry is gorgeous. It just pops in the flower bed.

All are mulched each year and get supplemental watering when we don't get sufficient rain, which this year was most of June and until last week, through July. They get fed occasionally, when I think about it.

New, this year, is Pink Double Delight. I'll keep you updated on how it makes it through the winter.

Linda

PS Forgot to mention Paradoxa, which was moved to this house when we moved in 2006. That makes it 7 years old and it performs nicely as always.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Sunrise & Harvest Moon have done well for me here, I've had them both 4 or 5 years. In fact, Sunrise has reseeded quite a bit & over 90% have been like their parent. I've not been impressed with Pink Double Delight. Nice the first couple of years, but the flowers are not impressive the last couple of years & I may pull it out. I bought Hot Papaya on clearance 2 years ago, it almost didn't make it the first year, didn't bloom last year, but this year it is WOW. Hope it keeps it up. I bought Hot Papaya recently & it promptly died. If they have more, I'm going to try it again, it looked so amazing.

• franeli
    11 years ago

'White Swan' for 9 years, 7 for'Magnus';both doing well. 'Ruby Star'only 4 years... didn't survive the spring weather this year.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting