Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Assorted problems

miclino
10 years ago

Salvia east friesland, does great every year, this year, multiple plants are just collapsed and splayed wide open? Too much rain?

Persicaria leaves turning red? Any idea why?
{{gwi:257542}}

Clematis Nelly moser in part shade. The leaves are looking kind of mottled. No pic right now.

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Too much rain?

==>> i know how much its rained down here in adrian .... splain yourself lucy???

and in between lots of rain.. extremely muggy and somewhat hot ... extremely humid deep into the night ....

clematis in shade???

ken

10 years ago

ya know.. i was thinking.. as i was mowing the lawn for what seems like the 33rd day in a row....

lack of sun may be your issue with all the heavy overcast days we have been having...

more than too much water.. but for really poor caly soil

ken

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Persicaria golden arrow is the one pictured and it should do fine in part shade, Not sure why the leaves are turning red.

Im thinking the salvia has grown too tall from all the rain and cannot stay up?

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

Hi there, Salvia often does that falling over thing, often after flowering, and more likely with plenty of moisture and or good feeding. The S nemorosa often starts sprouting new stalks in the center. So mine grow in full sun on a gravel bed and never tip over. You can prune yours close to the ground, in order to get at least new tidy foliage. In our region they could flower a second time.

Mine did never managed that 2. flowering, just few leaves, cause I starved them too much/ didn't have the time to look after them 100%. This year I pruned them somewhat earlier and plunked down some mineral fert, and yes, new foliage starts sprouting quickly.

And red foliage is a sign of stress, so as draught is not the reason, my guess would be water logging/ stress by too much water.

Perhaps that helps, bye Lin

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Persicaria golden arrow is the one pictured and it should do fine in part shade,

Yes it does more than just fine in part shade. As one who has 6 of these plants I have never seen any leaves turn even remotely red.

10 years ago

i hope you understand what i was trying to say l...

part shade... with a month of overcast days... is called dark shade... and MIGHT be having an impact ...

red is often a precursor to a proper green leaf ... and once the chlorophyll catches up.. its a normal green leaf...

maybe it is just not getting enough light..

and dont get me wrong.. i am enjoying the rains .... better than running up a water bill ...

ken

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I have some of my GA in what could be considered deep shade and although these particular specimens do not grow as vigorously as those receiving more light they still do fine enough i.e. bright leaves with flowering in later August and beyond. (As all of you know I love this particular Persicaria. It is just too bad that it is often the frost which shuts down this plant while still in flower).

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, linaria, it may well be too much water. I was more worried about root competition from the tree under which its planted. So I was supplementing some water, might just be too much.