Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing Helenium 'Red Jewel'?

Posted by a2zmom (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 23:12

Is the plant really as red as the pictures I've seen? How do you like the plant overall? All info appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing Helenium 'Red Jewel'?

I do not know what pictures you have seen. There are many Heleniums in that colour range that are very similar to each other, nearly identical. You can check the link below, the photos on that site are usually very reliable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helenium Red Jewel

o

I only have it for a couple of years. My observation so far: it started very dark red but faded very quickly to pale orange red resulting in an overall look of mixed dark red flowers to pale orange red flowers as the season progressed. Despite my disappointment in the fading, I still like its ornamental attributes of tall structure and 'non-yellowish' red colour.

o

I planted "Red jewel" in early June, and it is now beginning to bloom. It's a very deep red with no yellow or orange whatsoever. Its almost so saturated that from across the garden it blends in. It has just popped open a few blooms so I will post pictures next week when it's in full flush. I will say that this cultivar Red jewel is sold as a vibrant fuchsia/hot pink with PURPLE centers, but mine is a dark rich burgundy with handsome brown center which I luckily like a lot. It's been extremely drought resistant for not being an established plant in full sun, especially since I've read they like generous moisture their first year. My helenium is about 3 feet tall and has an attractive compact habit. To encourage rebloom I've been advised to shear back to half stature when blooms are fading.

o

Wieslaw, thanks so much for that link. I wish some os those cultivarswere available here, but for some reason the selection of Helenium appears to be very limited in the US.

garcan and tupliper, I appreciate the input. Where I was thinking of planting it is in a garden that has a lot of red with blue undertones, no orange at all. Tuliper, I'd be evry curious if you could let me know if you experience the fading that garcan has experienced after a month has passed. If the plant turns orange-y, it would clash with what I currently have planted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here