Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant 911

Posted by miclino 6 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 23:25

So annoyed, I had placed pots of Eupatorium pink frost and Echincea sombrero red in part sun to be ready for planting when weather cools. It was sitting on the paver pathway. Well the wind knocked them over and the plants got cooked on the pavers in 100 degree afternoon heat. By the time I found them in th evening, the foliage was curled up and drooping terribly. Moved them back to shade and watered well. Also sprayed foliage with water. Whats the prognosis?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant 911

You did all the right things, and you'll know the prognosis soon when you see how much the foliage recovers. I bet the plants will survive just fine, but you may have to trim back the foliage that doesn't bounce back. You might want to give the plants a couple days of rest in the shade before planting out in the sun.

Good luck - I hope the plants are OK!

o

Yes, the tops may be fried, but the roots should be fine.

I can sympathize, I bought a maple the other day and set it in the shade of bamboo between the end of my greenhouse and my garden shed. The winds knocked it over yesterday and it fell into my greenhouse. The top roughly foot of it is kind of fried, the part that was in the greenhouse, where it was probably 120 plus degrees.

o

Den, that sounds even worse than mine. Thanks for the info both of you. Will have to delay planting but these two made the plants on the discount rack at lowes look happy!

o

if it need be said.. NEVER put a pot on cement/pavers ...

you could probably cook an egg on such ...

you could have 'stuck' the pot in the bed.. holding it in tempered mother earth ... for later planting..

PRESUMING .. you remember to plant it in sept.. lol

ken

o

Those are tough plants...should be fine.

o

Update, they seem to have recovered frm deaths door and perked up. Some crispy leaves and maybe damaged stems but not fatal. Would have been so annoyed if I lost them because they were not discounted but were surrounded by discounted plants in pots on same pavers that were not affected.

I have put Plants in this spot before with no problems but this heat wave is unprecedented. I do plan on planting later this week, not in fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here