Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Echium red feathers

miclino
11 years ago

Saw this plant at a local nursery. Wondering if anyone had tried this out and it was one of those that needed exceptional drainage?

http://www.greengatefarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=325&typeID=

Comments (9)

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

I have tried this out, propagated it by seeds. The colour ranges from dark red to red-purplish. There is much variation how well the individual plants stand up and how tall they are. With me it grows in ordinary soil. In some sources described as biannual, it is actually perennial, but not all specimens are particularly long lived, much variation here.

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

I have a correction. I have mixed up Echium amoenum with Echium russicum. Sorry!

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No problem. It's supposed to be long blooming but I have also read that it may be a biennial and it's not cheap

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Actually , the site to which you've supplied the address, may have 'messed up' the things. According to some scientific sources, E.amoenum is an annual and is blue. Echium russicum on the other head is in the 'reddish range' and is perennial. You can ask them how sure they are in their nomenclature. Contrary to what some texts say, I have never seen the red to be 'rusty'. Some plants tend towards the 'violet side of the red', some are washed up pinkish red, never 'rusty'.

• brody
    11 years ago

I've grown Echium russicum before, identical to the photo in the link you posted, but taller. They liked full, hot sun and excellent drainage. Not long lived, 2 or 3 years tops, at least here, but easy from seed. Frankly, I wouldn't grow it again. The plants are nothing to look at when not in bloom and the flowers are too dark and dull to show up well unless they have a light background, as in the photo.

• miclino
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info, I think I'll skip this one

• Suzapruner
    10 years ago

How sad to pass this beauty up. It thrives in rock gardens with little care. Loves sun and will bloom repeatedly with deadheading - comes back quickly. Leave last bloom stalks for biennial reseeding. Yes, there ARE some that are rusty, but most fade to reddish tones. They are just gorgeous! The flowers get noticed since they resemble stalks such as found on tall veronicas only much bigger.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

Not long lived is correct. I planted one for the first time last fall. About five months later I forgot and pulled it up as a healthy-growing weed. Two days later I realized what I had done. Another gardening oops for the journal; probably why I don't keep a journal. ;)

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

This is not a show stopper plant, but it is nice. Tolerant of clay, xeric, useful in a xeriscape where there aren't so many red plants. Supposed to be long blooming if deadheaded. I don't think I would buy one in bloom, but I did buy a rosette last year, and it is blooming now. If it reseeds, that is fine with me. Seems to me no site is clear on the nomenclature, though. All list it as amoena.