Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommomsgarden

Dried clematis

mommomsgarden
10 years ago

Can someone help me out with this clematis? It was flowering beautifully when I first took it out of pot and planted it. Now it looks dried up. Not sure what happened or what to do!

Comments (6)

• florauk
    10 years ago

mommomsgarden - welcome over from Name That Plant Forum where you were given lots of good advice and it was explained that there is nothing really wrong with your plant. As we said over on NTP, clematis is woody vine, the flowers do go over and it doesn't bloom continuously. Next year it will be bigger and will bloom again. You were advised to leave your Clematis alone, as it is just behaving naturally. You were also given a link about caring for it. There isn't really anything else to add.

This post was edited by florauk on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 4:56

• david883
    10 years ago

Depending on the type of clematis (not sure if this info was already provided in NTP) it may bloom again later this year. I have 3 (down from 6, 3 of which I gave away) and a few of them that would bloom in spring/early summer rebloomed again, thought maybe not quite as much, in the fall.
    As flora said, they're woody vines. Only new growth is fleshy so the "stems" themselves being dry is pretty normal. They're amazingly reliable IMO. I chopped all of mine down to about nothing last fall/winter and two of the three are going crazy (the third isn't bad, just a little behind the other two).
    Keep it watered (however much your label says) and wait until next year... you'll be amazed

• mommomsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok flora well I was also advised to come over here in the perennial forum. i am a new gardener I don't know much. What's the big deal if I want more info?
    Thanks David! Very helpful can't wait to see them shine!!!

• justmetoo
    10 years ago

Is that the tag you have tied onto the bitty trellis in the pic (the little wood support trellis the clematis came on shown at bottom of your sideways photo)...if so, what does tag state name of your particular clematis is?

The name of your clematis will lead you to the type (1 , 2 or 3), which you can then learn to properly prune your plant. It was also allow you to google pics of what to expect of your clematis as it ages.

Your clematis is still basically in early stage (growing roots and getting settled), perhaps propagated by seller/grower by cuttings, and will take time to mature. I think the 'oldest' clematis in my garden is over 20 years old now. I remember planting it and being a bit intimadated by it. I expected more from it the first couple years. Yours is doing ok. I'm sure as it becomes established and you learn to care for your type you'll be very pleased with it.

• mommomsgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is one

• florauk
    10 years ago

OK - if you Google the name John Warren you will find information on that specific cultivar of Clematis. It is in pruning Group 2 which means it may bloom again this year although perhaps not as it is very young. There is detailed information on pruning it at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning group 2 Clematis

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional