Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus

Posted by mnwsgal 4 Henn MN (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 0:29

Red Luna has been full of blossoms this past week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus

Blue River II grown from traded seeds. 2nd year in this location. Large dinner plate sized blooms.

Edited to change name from Blue Lake II to Blue River II

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 19:38

o

Luna Pink Swirl bought last fall on clearance. Still very short.

o

One stem left of four from Midnight Marvel after neighbor's tree branch came crashing down. Will have a few blooms. Second year in ground.

o

Plum Crazy just starting to bloom.

o

beautiful hibiscus mnwsgal! I especially love the blue lake and the plum crazy! thanks so much for posting the pics. I love to see what is in other gardener's gardens. :)

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 9:48

Beautiful! I just love hibiscus! My "Brandy Punch" are loaded with buds, should start opening any day now (I pinch heavily, which delays the blooming but I get nice bushy plants so I don't mind).

I am very disappointed in the Luna series. IME, Disco Belle series was much better performer. I have a "Luna Pink" that I'm probably going to shovel prune, barely any buds, weak growth. Unfortunately, Disco Belle series is almost impossible to find around here anymore; if I could find "Disco Belle White" I'd be all over that like fur on a dog - I lost my clumps a few years ago (my fault, not the plant's) and I miss them. They also remind me of my dad, so there's sentimentality attached to them as well.

o

Thanks, grey lady and mxk3.

Plum Crazy is my favorite with its large ruffled blooms. Am liking those pure white blooms on Blue River II as well. (Edited to change name to Blue River II instead of Blue Lake II)

Mxk3, Disco Belle is no longer available here also. Have been searching for those for a couple of years. I think our best option is to get cuttings from someone that is growing it. Don't know if they come true from seed. Maybe a GW member can help us with that next spring.

Edited to add: Brandy Punch looks lovely. Please let me know if the flowers last 2-3 days as stated. All my blooms only last a day.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 19:40

o

I really like the Blue Lake. Must consider that one for next year.

FYI - I have several Disco Belle - all in shades of pink. These were started from seed by my sister over a decade ago and have survived in my parents garden (zone 3) for years. They are now in my garden. I'll try to remember to save seed this year.

Kevin

o

Great, Kevin. I will save seed from Blue River II if they set. I seldom get seed as deadhead regularly. When I leave a few the pods dry up and fall off without making seed on most of my plants.

Edited to change name from Blue Lake II to Blue River II.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 19:45

o

Beautiful Hibiscus, I've always admired them but have never grown them ....yet :).

Annette

o

Beautiful - plants & garden. So tidy too - a far cry from mine. :-D

o

I really like the Blue Lake.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that beautiful bright white hibiscus flower of mnwsgal is from "Blue River II".

We planted one a little over a month ago and it will bloom sometime this week

o

"I think that beautiful bright white hibiscus flower of mnwsgal is from "Blue River II".

well that would be why I was having trouble when googling it! lol!

have to have one that is plain white with no pink centre.

o

I believe you are correct, Rouge, that it is Blue River II. I have changed my records. Blue Lake II was the name on the traded seed packet but it sure looks like Blue River II. River, lake both bodies of water, eh? :-)

o

OT: Why are two of the photos upside down on my Apple computer? I took all the photos with the IPad 2 and did not change the orientation while shooting. They are upright on the IPad.

o

Thanks, pitimpinai, I am trying to fill in bare spots. Your garden is an inspiration to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here