Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 0:53

Front bed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: August Gardens

Side half day shaded bed

o

Tomatoes 'Kellogg's Breakfast' large orange (left side) and 'Bobbie' --no wispy foliage on this large red heart. Have been harvesting two or three of each every other day. Both produce 1+lb fruit.

o

Mailbox Bed. This half escaped being crushed by neighbor's fallen tree branch.

o

Mailbox Bed with neighbor's fallen tree branch.

o

beautiful! What is the sedum in the second pic? Is it the same as in the mailbox garden?

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 9:43

Nice! You are going to have some tasty tomatoes, I'm envious. I don't have enough sun for the big ones - all I can manage over here is cherry tomatoes (which are like snacking on candy bars -- they don't make it into the house for salads/cooking since I just stand out there and snack on them right off the vine).

o

mxk3, I hear you about snacking on the cherry tomatoes in the garden. This is such a good year for tomatoes here that even with snacking I still have a bowl full of Sungold to bring in.

Grey lady, the sedum in the side bed is Obsidian I took a broken off branch and stuck it there in the ground two years ago and am pleased with the result. Was afraid it might be too shaded. The sedum in the mailbox bed is Red Cauli. It is sprawly this year. That part of the mailbox bed is mostly sand. Will try pinching early next year.

Sungold, Sunsugar, Kellogg's Breakfast, Bobbie, Caspian Pink, Brandy
Boy, Stump of the World, Stupice, Juane Flamme, Green Zebra

o

mnwsgal - those tomatoes are a work of art...YUM!

o

Thanks for letting me know. I love the darker leafed sedums. They contrast so nicely with the flowers. (I have 'purple emperor' and 'vera jameson')

Those tomatoes are beautiful.

o

mmmm Kellogg's breakfast is my favorite, such a mild taste and so meaty :)
The garden looks great, I love seeing patches that look lively and lush in August instead of tired and ready for fall. The hakonechloa is an awesome plant. What's the other grass?

o

I am very impressed. :)

o

Love your mailbox garden. It's nice to see a variety of plants instead of one mass planting of something.

I agree, this has been an incredible summer for Sungold tomatoes. They started kind of late, but I'm picking a bowlful every other day now and that's from 1 plant. I wonder how long it's going to take for me to get sick of them since I'm eating a big bowl every couple days. No sign of that yet thank goodness.

Kevin

o

Thanks you all for the compliments. Gardening is such fun for me.

Kato, KB is also a favorite and one I grow every year. Bobbie is also meaty and mild and very productive. First time for that variety and had to try it as that is my name.

Love the hakonechla grass "Aurolea' but it is very slow growing in that area of part sun and maple tree roots. Added more last spring to cover that corner but one died and the others are tiny yet.

The other grass is Andropogon gerardii (also classified as Schizachyrium scoparium) Little Bluestem "Blue Heaven" introduced by Mary Meyer from the MN Arboretum collection.
Also due to conditions it stays shorter than normal.

o

mnwsgal-I am impressed by your lovely tomatoes. I'm also impressed by the lovely tablecloth!! Is it vinyl? could you say where you got it?

o

Thanks, flower girl, they are delicious varieties.

The tablecloth is not vinyl. It is a permanent press material and doesn't seem to stain. Probably has a stain blocker. I think I bought it several years ago at the local department store which is now a Macy's. Or maybe Bed and Bath.

Edited to add: Going through my files I found the original label. The material is polyester and was bought in 2002 from JC Penney's. 'Martha's Vineyard'.

My colors are more muted than shown in the link with lilac rather than pink blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha's Vineyard Tablecloth

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 15:28

o

Sorry I'm a little late for the August pics, but thought I'd share a few pics I snapped in August.

o
A few more August pics

A few more...

o
RE: August Gardens - more pics...

more...

o

More pics...

o
RE: August_Gardens

More....

o
RE: August-Gardens

more...

o

Thanks for the link for the tablecloth. Its out of stock, but will be getting more. I love it. I can use it outside and cover it with clear plastic.

o

tak2w: lovely photos of your flowers. Please tell me the names of your hibiscus. And what is the tall purple spike in the upper right 5th group of photos?

flowergirl: hope you are able to get the tablecloth. It is the easiest one I have in terms of care.

o

mnwsgal:

I don't know the name of the hibiscus....picked it up at a big box store last summer...was just labeled "Hardy Hibiscus."

The lavender "spike" is Vitex agnus-castus 'Shoal Creek' (Chaste Tree)....not a very good picture of it.

o

Bobbie, love the combinations in your beds and look at those tomatoes, looks like you had a good year. We had tomatoes and cucs coming out our ears this year, considering the year we've had weatherwise, leaves me scratching my head on how come they did so well when other things didn't LOL.

tak2w, great pics, looks like you have quite a few beauties in your garden.

Annette

o

Thanks, Annette. We also have had a great year for tomatoes and cucumbers and beans. Too many at this point!

Thanks, tak2w, looked up the Chaste Tree. Very pretty tree but not hardy here. Probably a red luna hibisicus as they are very commonly sold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here