Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gyr_falcon

Scutellaria sp Starrfire

gyr_falcon
11 years ago

I purchased a 1 gal. Scutellaria sp Starrfire, but am having a very difficult time locating information about it. The usually informative nursery folks shrugged and said to look it up online. Even the wholesale source nursery that was listed on the container label does not have online information about this plant!

So far, I have a rough size of 1 ft. high, 15 inches wide. Zone 4-8. (Outside my zone, but I'm experimenting anyway.) Bloom period of spring through fall.

Does anyone know the desired growing conditions for this skullcap?

Comments (8)

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

It does not look like anything that could thrive in zone 4-8, unless it was just brought from Northern China. For me it looks rather like a tropical of some sort.I have scutellaria incana and there is a slight resemblance between the flowers of these two species. Brigth red flowers in perennials are very rare in the North. They would have been known by now in my opinion.

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

very lovely though!

• gyr_falcon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Considering my zone, liking conditions a bit more tropical would be a plus, wieslaw59. One online source hinted that it has only been infrequently available during the past couple of years, but there was nothing about the parent plant. From photos, I was thinking it most resembled S. suffrutescens (Cherry Skullcap).

You know how it is when something grabs your attention while wandering through a nursery, right campanula? ;^) I returned the next day hoping someone had not snatched them all. I've been in an experimenting mood with new garden beds to fill.

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

I surely do, GyrFalcon (great name by the way). Is yours a suffrutescens? or longifolia? We only ever see blue skullcaps in the UK but having an unrequited love of all things salvia related, my interest perked up immediately. Perhaps a search for seeds might just mean some nice new additions to my scree gardens (because it is extremely unlikely I will find plants for sale, though you never know).
    Apart from horticulturally, my main knowledge of skullcap relates to its powerful herbal properties.
    Am continually in experimental mode (which is why my garden always looks a mish-mash.)

• gyr_falcon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfortunately this plant was only labeled Scutellaria sp 'Starrfire', and google searches have not filled in the proper species name beyond guessing. Even guesses are welcome!

Campanula, it is always nice to meet a fellow mish-masher! lol I have been working in landscape/design for many years, but my personal garden's base always ends up with the same style--an informal mix of shrubs, perennials and whatnot mixed together. (Heck, I even have aloes growing beside my butterfly ginger!) 20% of my garden must live in constant fear of my yank and change-it-up moods; and 55% more should be afraid.

• auntyara
    11 years ago

I found this. Not sure if it's what your looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gyr_falcon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, auntyara. That was the site where I found the size and zones listed in the original post.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

Have you tried calling High Country Gardens? They grow what they sell, so they should be able to help you.

That is a beautiful plant, by the way.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner