Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I root clippings from Diamond Frost Euphorbia?

Posted by GROWCHEMOME 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 2:05

Hi everyone :)

I'm pretty new here and very new to perennials as well as propagation. If anyone would be willing to share the steps you follow to get successful roots from the cuttings of Diamond Frost Euphorbia that would be awesome!

So far, I've taken a few clippings and removed the lower leafs then submerged them in water and sat them in a sunny window indoors. It's been about 10-12 days but nothing has happened except the leaves turned yellow, some fell off and some of the buds fell off. Plus there was some kind of white/almost clear mold or something growing in the water and on some of the leaves/buds that had fallen in.

I've removed all leaves and buds, cleaned the mason jars and filled them back up with fresh water then put them in an even sunnier window.

Is there anything I did/didn't do that has caused them not to root yet?

Thanks so much in advance to anyone willing to share some tips or what works for them! Rachel

PS. I can share some photos later on in the week if that would help.

I also know these are not allowed to be propagated for profit, but I'm pretty sure it's fine for my own personal use at home.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I root clippings from Diamond Frost Euphorbia?

The link below provides information on Diamond Frost Euphorbia. According to the information on the site, it is hardy to Z10 but can be grown in colder zones and treated as an annual.

I normally don't root cuttings to produce additional plants. I haven't found it to be a reliable method of filling my garden beds. I have enjoyed my purchased euphorbias, both the species polychroma and a purple cultivar 'Bonfire.'

Is there anything I did/didn't do that has caused them not to root yet?

Chances are you don't factor into the equation other than to be patient. If they're going to propagate they will.

Here is a link that might be useful: Euphorbia hyperciciolia 'Inneuphe'

o

Gardeners:

That seems to be the one thing I'm running low on.....patience ; ) Seriously, I need to try to add that virtue to my strengths! I'm definitely still trying to root them but it might take a while to figure it out on my own. You know what they say work smarter not harder. That's why I thought I'd cheat and just ask around to all those folks who have already put in the hard work.

o

Learn to take pride & enjoy satisfaction with your garden successes, big and small. I began designing my garden beds in 2006. They were "finished" and looking like the pictures in my head by 2011, mostly thanks to winter sowing. Now I look them and wonder what I'm supposed to do from here on?

Gardening teaches patience since plants have their own agendas and timetables but the rewards of learning are well worth the effort.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here