Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis not flowering. How do I identify and winterize?

Posted by GROWCHEMOME 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 3:40

Hi everyone

I very new to perennials so I haven't overwintered anything yet. I have 2 Clematis, the Empress & one from Home Depot that's labeled "tall height" Clematis nothing else identifying about it. It has a typical size and shape lighter blue/purple color bloom.

They both seem to be doing well on the front porch of our house but since we brought the unidentified Clematis home it bloomed then grew like crazy. I cut it back some but since that initial bloom it's not done anything else?

The Empress Clematis had many blooms when we bought it and it has grown some but not as much as the other. I switched their spots since it didn't get as much sun and it does seem to have grown some but not quite as much as the other. It also hasn't bloomed since we potted it?

I read that some Clematis can be cut back to a few inches during the dormant seasons and other like the taller variety you just leave alone. How do I identify which ones I can cut back and which I don't

Also, how high should I actually cut it back and when?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! Rachel

I can post a picture in a few days if that would help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis not flowering. How do I identify and winterize?

A photo might help, but there are a large number of light blue/purple clematis and big box stores aren't known for accurate tags. In general, the bloom time is what tells you how to prune it. When did it bloom? If it bloomed with Empress, which is a type 2 (or B) prune, then it should be pruned the same way. Type 2 plants bloom on old growth and some on new growth as well, so spring pruning should be dead wood only. Some plants bloom better a second time (usually about September) if pruned lightly right after the first bloom to encourage new growth and to remove the old flowers. I don't grow Empress, and I am too far north to get second bloom on my type 2 clematis, so I don't know if you will get a second bloom if you prune lightly. Check to see if there buds forming on either plant over the next month. Even if they don't bloom a second time this year, they may in the future as they mature and get settled in.

You said "on the front porch." Did you plant them in the ground or are they still in their pots? It is much easier to grow clematis well in the ground for beginners IMO. They are heavy feeders (same type of fertilizer as for roses in spring) and have large root balls. They like even moisture, so a mulch is helpful as well.

There is also a clematis forum here on GW, though as far as I am concerned posting here is fine also.

o
RE: Clematis not flowering. How do I identify and winterize?

I read that some Clematis can be cut back to a few inches during the dormant seasons and other like the taller variety you just leave alone.

==>>> i dont know what you are reading.. but you need better sources...

there are 3 specific types of Cs.. and they have different rules as to when and how to cut on them ...

there are no general rules ....

the default is to leave them until spring.. and cut back.. just as you are seeing new growth ... a failsafe situation ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here