Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Integrating Clematis Integrifolia into Mixed Borders

arbo_retum
9 years ago

I can't really figure this out,maybe because i have no photo references from books or websites.I have positioned one successfully on the edge of a'wall' in our 'chasm' area, so the flowers fountain over the edge a bit. But what about regular mixed borders? Do they work particularly well with certain companion plants? how about as edgers? I have 2@ of the blue Fascination arriving soon. Thx much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fascination

Comments (2)

• User
    9 years ago

Fascination is one of the taller herbaceous clematis (but not as tall as Rooguchi, which has a similar flower)....and as such, is better as a scrambler between taller perennials such as phlox, ornamental grasses, gauras, penstemons etc. It will thread itself through the stems...or will obligingly fall over a wall, a stump, a bank or an ugly shrub. They do not conform to formal gardening- they seem to fit in a wilder setting - I think because of their size and vague unruliness . They add a dimension to those small shrubs which had their moment way back in May/June but are now just sitting greenly boring (I am thinking of philadelphus, deutzias, small lilacs, exochorda, spiriaes (sp?) forsythia, winter jasmine - well those 4-6feet tall clems are just the ticket. They are also seen on obelisks, tuteurs and such, constructed from rustic pea sticks through to ornate wrought iron. They are a bit hopeless as edgers. I have Pangbourne Pink, Alionushka, a couple of unidentified (nondescript blue) ones and love them growing through hogweed and campions in our woodland (they laugh at shade unless it is deep gloom). They will also twine amongst roses for a more romantic cottage-y look. I intend to allow for fraternising between integrifolias and C. recta, ternata and fargesii and have vague ideas of growing a deep blue hendersonii up amongst a purple leaved elder and the dark angelica sylvestris ' Vicar's Meade' (or Ebony)

These clems are easy and floriferous in a modestly charming style, I hope you will enjoy them

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Bushy Blue Bell looks much like yours but more blue. It is growing in my mixed border through a cross hatched tall peony hoop. This keeps the plant upright about 3 ft high. It gives it more of a bush appearance and is near a front corner of the border so that I can deadhead it as I don't like the dried seed heads. BBB is my longest blooming clematis, from late spring/late fall.

Put Petite Falcon on a very short obelisk which is working now but may need to be replaced when the clematis is older (2nd year in ground).