Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pennisetum 'Red Bunny Tails' Annual or Perennial?

Posted by GROWCHEMOME 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 4:56

Hi everyone

I'm new to Perennials but I absolutely love the ornamental grass that we bought this year. I found the Red Bunny Tail grass on the Garden Crossings site that I was thinking about buying when I order my grape lantana. It's listed on their site as an annual but the hardiness zone is 7-11 and I'm located in 7a. It's still a little confusing but does that mean it will be a perennial for me but anyone 6 or under it would be an annual?

Thanks so much! Rachel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pennisetum 'Red Bunny Tails' Annual or Perennial?

I'm no botanist but in my experience annual plants generally sprout, grow, bloom then die once frost nips them when the weather turns cold. Perennials on the other hand send up new growth in spring, bloom during their annual growth cycle, then go dormant once frost nips them when the weather turns cold. They return from year to year and repeat the process.

Pennisetum is an ornamental grass commonly referred to as fountain grass. There are several cultivars. 'Hameln' is a perennial cultivar. ' Red Bunny Tails' is an annual cultivar that may perform as a perennial in Z7 - see the link below for more information. It would likely be an annual in my Z6 garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pennisetum messiacum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here