Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to move Hardy Hibiscus?

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6/MA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 15, 09 at 5:31

I am looking at my Hardy Hibiscus 'Plum Crazy' with buds all over it and just itching to move it to prepare a bed for next year. It blooms so late, that if I wait until it finishes blooming, it might not have enough time to re-establish before winter. I thought I read somewhere that spring was the best time to move it, but I really don't want to wait until then. I'd almost rather lose the bloom for this year and move it now, but I'm afraid it will get too hot right after I move it and I don't want to lose it. I suppose I could just pot it up and leave it in the shade for a week.

Anyone have any experience moving one of these Hardy Hibiscus?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to move Hardy Hibiscus?

If you don't want to move it in spring, then wait until mid/late September.

o

I believe it has a deep tap root, making it more difficult to move successfully. I think you may risk killing the plant if you move it before spring. I gow hardy hibiscus, but have not moved it. This thought is just my intuition. Before you move it in fall, I would wait to hear from someone who says they have done this.

o

Thanks laceyvail, and julie. I was afraid there was some reason not to move it in the fall. I think you are right, if someone has already moved one successfully in the fall, that would give me the confidence to do it, otherwise, I guess I just have to put up with it where it is and work around it until spring.

I am thinking maybe I should try rooting some cuttings to try to propagate it just for insurance. Has anyone done that?

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 15, 09 at 14:04

I've moved them before, have done it in both early spring and fall. No problem doing at either time, be sure to mulch well.

o

I have moved mine twice: once in spring, once in fall. It was a smaller plant the first time (fall). I don't remember noticing a taproot... I did take care to keep it well watered. Since hibiscus are tropicals, I cannot imagine that it would suffer badly from your heat. Definitely mulch, as mxk said, and move it into good soil. Personally, if you are a conscientious one about aftercare, I'd move it now to give those roots maximum time to re-establish.

I'd like to know how to propagate them too. Mine is Krown Jewels and I love it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here