Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Malvaviscus arboreus rosea - turkscap

Posted by campanula UK Cambridge (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 6:22

I have always been drawn to the mallow family and grow numerous specimens (which thrive in my sandy hot soil). Despite incredibly generous offers of seeds (Tex, Mara), I still found myself ordering pink turkscap seeds. I planted 4 fat seeds and lo, 3 (so far) large, plump cotyledons have emerged....and I am now a bit flustered. What to do, what to do? To be sure, ordering these was a triumph (?) of hope over experience...but I did have several abutilons overwintering outside without undue stress, for years (till boredom - the biggest plant killer of all in my garden, got the better of me). Still, this plant is a complete unknown to me so do tell, those of you who grow these mallows (I was mainly taken by the promise of shady potential.........although I would draw a line at planting this in the woods.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Malvaviscus arboreus rosea - turkscap

I have the giant red turkscap in my flowerbed, it gets morning sun, afternoon shade. Love this plant, but for me it is slowly invasive, and hard to get out! The hummers love it, and it is so healthy.

o

It will grow into an area. multiplying at the base, stoloniferously.. It is slow where I am but things are rough here. It might be different in England…Ogrose, is in Dallas and they have clay based soils that are richer.. I would give it shade with some sun, more sun than shade in England. That is a guess made in reaction to your temporate temperatures.. It will be plenty hardy there. Mine has not bloomed yet this year. Strange. The red is blooming in town , but they have not formed seed yet. I have had my eye on clumps to gather some seed for you. They should grow easily. They are very tolerant and flexible plants, growing across different soil types and rain changes. They grow from Central Texas across east Texas, Louisiana and into Florida but I think they are less the further east one goes. They are happier with a bit more water and a deeper soil than I have. They grew fast and bug when I lived in town on clay.

o

Hi, my goal here is to share pictures. The red turkscap is at a local historical house where my Master Gardener group does volunteer work. Please take advice from others who actually grow it in their yards and know more about its culture.

Planted some years ago by the Master Gardener group the turkscap is a HUGE mass beloved by hummingbirds and admired by tourists.

Pictures taken Aug 5, 2014 at Kent House (1796), Alexandria, Louisiana, z8b, heat zone 9, central Louisiana. As ogrose notes above: morning sun, afternoon shade. This location also has many shadows and is near 2 fig trees. As wantonamara notes turkscap is a native plant in Louisiana.

NOT MY HOUSE!

Turkscap Distance, Kent House 8/4/14 photo turkscapdistance_zps1bfd0476.jpg

Turkscap, Kent House 8/5/14 photo turkscapmedium_zpsda7cef98.jpg

Turkscap Closeup, Kent House 8/4/14 photo turkscapclose_zps5cac4e3e.jpg

Another picture, Folsom Native Plant Society, near Covington, Louisiana

House furnished with beautiful period antiques, outbuildings with extensive displays of various molds and farming tools:
Visit Kent House (1796) and learn about life in a French Creole family in the early 1800’s

This post was edited by river_crossroads on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 13:46

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here