Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small and pretty

Posted by daisyincrete 10? (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 6:38

I have got a thing about Origanum rotundifolium.
I just find them so fascinating and pretty.
I only have one variety, but would love more.
This one ( I am not sure which variety it is) has been flowering since May.
Does anyone else grow them?

aug2014 089

aug2014 090

I also have the similar Cretan dittany, Origanum dictamnus, which grows wild all over the neighbourhood.
It was named after Mount Dikti, a mountain nearby. It grows on the steep slopes. Young men are given the job of harvesting it from the steep and dangerous mountainsides.
Daisy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small and pretty

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 6:47

There's a local plant that you could try...a relative, American Dittany (Cunila origanoides), it's much less refined (lol).

o

I tried growing Origanum rotundifolium, I think 'Kent Beauty', a couple of years ago as a potted plant and it wasn't happy, never getting much larger than the original plant, and only blooming for a short time. I think it needs warmer and less humid nights than we have to thrive, probably the reason I don't see it for sale locally. Photos like yours were what made me try it, but I think I'll just enjoy your photos!

o

That is beautiful, daisy. I wanted to try it after seeing a photo in a gardening book, but never really got around to finding it offered anywhere. I'll have to look for seeds.
Thank you for posting the pictures.

o

Daisy, your oregano is gorgeous. I tried Kent Beauty but it just fried in our summer heat. I have the regular species now in a more protected area, and it is growing but has yet to produce any of the pretty bracts or flowers. Yours is unusual, I haven't seen any with purple flowers. Kent Beauty is a soft lavender pink, and most of the pictures of the species are also pinkish.

Cheryl

o

I find all of my oreganos appreciate some shade for part of the day in Texas heat. I have dittany of crete growing in a pot again. My big plant died in the bad cold front of 2011. I hear that we are up for another bad winter this year. I guess I will pull it close to the house. I love the grey/silver fuzzy leaves. It is still small but growing nicely and blooming up a storm..

o

Origanums (sigh) One of the few plants I buy over and over, hoping for a better result next time. Kent Beauty, O. dictamnus... They may grow a few years, but never look as lovely, nor get as large, as they do in photographs. Your plant is beautiful.

o

I am surprised that they cannot take the Texan sun Cheryl.
Mine sit out in the full Mediterranean sun all the time.
I have found this one to be very forgiving of poor treatment. I wouldn't expect them to take a harsh winter, but they grow well in England as they do here.
It has been in the same pot for 9 years. It travelled across Europe with me, when I moved from England 7 years ago.
I split it a few years ago and put each pot of it at each end of the pond.
My neighbour who watered my pots for me, when I had to visit England for 2 weeks, overlooked them, so when I returned they looked dead. They came back from the dead though and have looked good ever since.
Daisy

o

My Latitude is 5 degrees further south than Creete and even though our continental mass has us colder in the winter, the sun is a bugger in the summer.I found the Mediterranean sun bright but gentle. We are on par with Cairo. You average about 10-20 F 0 degrees less then us in summer (98- 103F this week). It makes a difference to the plants. Jadite in New Mexico has your latitude and similar highs but her humidity is way down and the evaporation rate is murderous in the sun.

My plant of Dittany maybe can be pushed out further into the sun , now that it is bigger. I take it carefully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here