Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally came across an Asahi Heliopsis

Posted by rouge21 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 7:35

It has been on my "to buy" list for a while but it was just yesterday that I inadvertently spied it at a nursery that I had never patronized. I scooped it up ignoring the now common mantra "no more room".

Anyone else have one in their garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally came across an Asahi Heliopsis

lucky you! very nice....you must always grab a plant that you have been looking for when you find it....you may not see it again! :) There is ALWAYS room ;)

o

This is my second summer with 'Asahi', it grows in an upright open manner upon stiff stems with small shiny foliage and an abundance of these cute little golden blooms, excuse the gardener's fingernails, lol.

o

Another photo ...

o

Very nice looking plant.

Unfortunately my heliopsis are favored by sunflower moths and I'd mars their appearance. I sm going to put them in a place where I enjoy them at a distance or msybe get rid if all together...can't decide. I think I will always have sunflower moths so getting rid of this particular plant probably won't matter.

o

Unfortunately my heliopsis are favored by sunflower moths

Definitely something to consider if you have had problems with this moth larvae on other heliopsis in your garden. (I had this problem greatly with our "Tuscan Sun" heliopsis)

o

'twrosz', I really appreciate your pictures.

How tall has your Asahi gotten in this its second season?

Did it begin to flower prior to "Sunshine Daydream"?

o

Here's a better photo, I had put a tomato cage around the plant and it's looking a bit tooo tight.

Rouge, 'Asahi' came into flower over a month ago and is now in full bloom along with 'Sunshine Daydream'. Next spring, I think I'll divide 'Asahi' to have a few more around the garden.

o

twrosz, thanks again for the additional pictures. It appears from your last post that this Heliopsis needs some support to stay upright?

(I think I will remove "Henry Eilers" and put an Asahi in its place).

o

Rouge, the stems on 'Asahi' are strong and do not require support, though the plant is of rather open airy habit and placing the tomato cage upon it made for a more concentrated color effect, though it's currently looking just a bit up"tight", lol ... I'm soon gonna loosen its binding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here