Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

Penstemon 'Sweet Joanne'

echinaceamaniac
12 years ago

{{gwi:258903}}

This plant blooms over and over. I'm impressed that it is constantly in bloom. I've never seen a Penstemon bloom so long. It does get floppy, but this was a first year plant and I'm still impressed. I will be planting more of these. It's so easily rooted in a glass of water near a window!

Comments (18)

• coolplantsguy
    12 years ago

Love this plant.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Love, love, love the color, is it one that is readily available or will I have to hunt for it?

Annette

• coolplantsguy
    12 years ago

It's relatively new, but should be readily available. I believe it is a Blooms variety.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Thanks coolplantsguy, we have a nursery not too far down the road that carries Blooms introductions, I'll have a look for it the next time we're down that way.

Annette

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got mine during Blustone's big sale this summer. It's a really nice plant. The blooms last so long and are so quickly replaced with new ones.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Thanks for suggesting it. How are its requirements/tolerance for moisture? Is it more like western penstemons (happier dry) or is it OK in average garden soil?

• coolplantsguy
    12 years ago

Mine is in what I would call "average" garden soil. Right next to Hakonechloa 'Albostriata' and Heuchera 'Beaujolais' in pretty much full sun.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mine is in an average spot in blazing heat and full sun. It is a tough plant!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    12 years ago

After seeing so many positive reports re this particular Penstemon I went out and bought two. The problem is is that the purchase was made just yesterday (October 28). I will mulch well, hope for lots of insulating snow and cross my fingers.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

A couple more questions:
    Have any of you successfully overwintered this yet?
    Do you have to deadhead to keep it throwing new blooms or will it rebloom without deadheading?

Thanks!

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just saw this question...it over wintered fine here. No deadheading was required. It bloomed constantly.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    11 years ago

I am really excited about this plant. I planted 9 of them this spring in various spots in my garden patch, mainly sourced 50% off from Bluestone Perennials.

Echinaceamaniac, do you have a special technique for rooting these in water? I have a couple of small branches that broke off during planting and I have had them in a glass of water on my windowsill for the past 3 weeks. There is still no sign of rooting.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had luck last year but now they won't root for me this year. I have no idea why. I think it must have been better rooting gel or timing. I'll try again.

• User
    11 years ago

try them in moist sand or a soiless mix such as vermiculite. I find cuttings in water a bit iffy.

11 years ago

This plant blooms over and over. I'm impressed that it is constantly in bloom. I've never seen a Penstemon bloom so long. It does get floppy, but this was a first year plant

I planted 2 of these in my garden late last fall and so this has been their first summer and I too like them ie lots of blooms and not needing much water. But they are a bit floppy. I am curious if they are less so for you now that they are in their second year in your garden?

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They weren't floppy this year. They also have better color in the flowers. Love it!

11 years ago

echinaceamaniac, I am noticing that although this plant's foliage is healthy and has been this way since it began flowering there are definitely fewer blooms present this last week and onwards. Was this your experience with SJ last summer?

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mine bloomed all the way to frost last year. The weather this year is so hot that it's not doing as well. This is not a typical year though.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH