Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Echibeckia "Summerina"

And I quote:

"....cross between an echinacea (coneflower) and rudbeckia (black-eyed susan)....."

"......an entirely new plant species......."

(I do love that name though)

(EDIT: I do see that GW member aftermidnight had already posted about this new perennial...sorry Annette and others for the redundant thread).

Here is a link that might be useful: Echibeckia

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 7:55

Comments (9)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I don't see anything (based on photo with article) that couldn't be explained by Rudbeckia genes alone...but perhaps the growth and foliage reflects the Echinacea.

I'm skeptical...and wait to be convinced.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Rouge, I'm glad you brought it up again, it's been about a month since I bought mine and I can't say enough nice things about this new plant. Mine is in full bloom now, the flowers last and last and last, almost like they're suspended in time. While other things have suffered a bit from this long hot spell we've had not this plant. I still have to see how it deals with winter, I've lost a few Echinaceas due to too wet a winter but I have high hopes for this Echibeckia. I have the orange flowering one but will keep my eyes open for the other ones. It's raining right now but will try and get a picture of mine later. It's heeled in, a temporary spot for the time being.

I'm still working on that small overgrown bed, so far two wheelbarrows full of roots dug. I'm afraid this bed isn't going to be ready for awhile, want to make sure i've got all the L. of the V. roots out before I do any planting.

Annette

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

To be honest, I am sceptical too, First off, it looks like a shoo-in for rudbeckia hirta....so I guess the perennial promise is the USP here ....but mostly, I have triailed a few intergeneric hybrids and all of them, in varying extents, seems to have some terrible weakness. For a self-confessed seed saver, the inevitable sterility is hardly ever an asset, especially in late flowerers such as the rudbeckias or anything which has a flowering cycle dependent on daylight length (shortening days after the solstice). Secondly, many hybrids seem to inherit a worrying disposition to come down with diseases. Hybrid vigour: we all recognise this phenomenon but when cutting across genera, I have not truly noticed any plus in this area.
    Finally, I spent 4 years at hort.college walking past a tragic laburnocytisus Adamsii hybrid - for 4 weeks every May, I used to actually cut across fields at the rear of the college to avoid the grisly sight of this horror. They had a hawthorn and something one (graft chimaera) and several stone fruit hybrids as well (which I don't grow) but nothing as upsetting as the Adamsii.
    Still, I am failing to get terribly excited about many of these highly bred nursery confections - possibly being a little bit poor but mostly because I have nearly always gone down the seed and cutting route and have pretty much missed out on the massive breeding programmes of the last 30 years or so (and as I often make some spare money by selling plants, the Breeder's rights and patents are essentially an obstacle. So, I shall not be spending money on this until it has had a thorough testing and even then, it would need to have sterling properties before parting with (gasp) cash money..

• HU-638388803
    5 years ago

My echibeckia plants did not make it through the winter of 2016. I do have 3 plants which resemble this I think. I didn't realize the seeds would be fertile. Does anyone have experience with these hybrids. Its summerina.

• HU-638388803
    5 years ago

Its the summer of 2018...

• Campanula UK Z8
    5 years ago

and?

• HU-638388803
    5 years ago

I was trying to make it known that my comments are current hence the comment... summer of 2018. Referring back to my previous comments. Do you have experience growing echibeckia from seeds?

• Campanula UK Z8
    5 years ago

Ah, right. I was waiting for a report from you.

Not even sure seeds would even be possible from an inter-generic hybrid?

• HU-638388803
    5 years ago

Well my 3 plants have budded! We shall soon see what flowers bloom.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz