Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PIX - Can wooly thyme have problems with mildew?

Posted by grandma_gardener_02 paZone 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 7:49

In April of 2012 we planted a whole line of wooly thyme as a border in front of some bushes on a wall [so it would trail over the wall]. It has all flourished until now when one area in the whole long line appears to have contracted some problem - mildew???? If so what to do? Wonder if it has anything to do with the weird weather we have had this summer - starting out with constant cool, wet - then sunny dry to cool, wet - huge spike in temp [one day to 100°] - back to cool, wet, cloudy now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PIX - Can wooly thyme have problems with mildew?

Please feel free to email. Forgot to check that last time.

o

I saw these at Lowes and some in the pots look the same way. I think they are prone to problems. We tried them once, but they always started looking that way in the summer. They just aren't meant to grow here.

o

If I see a plant that has wooly leaves I think that is a clue that humidity isn't going to be good for it. Stachys byzantina is the same way. It melts with humidity. Perhaps a different ground cover plant would be better?

o

Anyway I can save it? It covers a huge area. I'd at least like to try.

o

• Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 12:50

Does the shrub shade that part of the plant? Is the that part of the Thyme in a low spot or a damp spot, maybe from watering the shrub?
I have Wooly Thyme planted in one of my flower beds and had an issue with one of the plants doing the same thing. I raised it up a bit and it is recovering-it has started to fill in with new growth.
Just make sure that it is receiving full sun and that the soil is not remaining damp.
Hope this helps

Rhonda

o

I've never had fungal diseases with my wooly thyme. Perhaps sheer off the bad stuff and spray with a fungicide?

o

My husband decided to just dig out the blackened part around the bush and then sprayed with fungicide. We think it may have been the shade. Almost never water this area, so it must be the weather if it is too moist. Now my husband is going to take out more around other bushes it is in front of along the line we have planted it. Hope it comes back to make a nice border.

Thanks for your suggestions, especially your picture, Rhonda.

o

Does that here, but it always recovers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here