Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Digging and holding plants temporarily

mxk3 z5b_MI
10 years ago

I'm having a major patio renovation done in August, and I need to dig up *a lot* of perennials and small shrubs to get out of the way - the patio and beds are being re-shaped, plus they need access points for their equipment.

So, where to begin...ugh! The when to begin is next week.

Can I just water well, dig, and throw in trash bags with some dirt and hold in the shade? Or should I take the time to actually pot them up? I have lots of plastic nursery pots I've kept over the years - the supplies aren't the problem, it's the time factor, since I've only a week to get it all done (on vacation next week).

I'm planning on re-planting the beds when he's finished, obvsiouly, but it will be in bits and pieces - I have to think about plant arrangement first (since the beds will be re-shaped), plus I'll only have time to work on the project here and there after work or for a short while on the weekends. That's my biggest concern - holding the plants over until replanting, it might take a good month or two to get everything back in the ground.

I know the perennials will take a beating and come back just fine next year, but I do have some rugosa roses and a tree-form hydrangea and possibly other shrubs I'm more concerned about.

Please advise on how best to handle.

It will be very nice patio when it's all done, but I have ZERO motivation for gardening this year, I am just not looking forward to all this work. I need to get my mojo back. Don't suppose you have any advice on that, do you? :0p

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

small stuff .... plastic bag with the soil attached tot he plant ... make a big pile in full shade.. the bag is really there.. simply for transport ... and should be left open.. so you can water ...

bigger stuff.. garbage bag ...

potting is a lot of work.. and the cost of media... etc ... and probably way over the top.. for a week or 10 day hold over ....

but do clarify what is foo .. and what is not.. as compared to what is precious ... not everything is important ... only focus on the ones that are ...

i have seen rugosa roses on cape cod.. just off the sea... and conceptualizing the affect of salt air and beach sand .. i would suggest that most of them.. could be run over with a truck.. repeatedly.. and still come back .... if true rugosa... they arent even grafted ... might ask in the rose forum ...

and the tree.. dig a new hole .... and plop the large plant in it.. and perhaps.. let it get over the stress.. and dont move it back.. until fall .. though it is gorgeous this week in SE MI .... it is august ... so.. one stress at a time.. and even better.. if you could just find a new home for it.. in your own garden.. so you dont have to move it again ...

all that said.. go zen on it.. any losses.. should just be considered a part of the cost of the wall job .... so what.. all the more reason to go buy some new things...

and do get some before and after pix.. i am really interested ...

ken

ps: was it you.. who borrowed a nursery cart.. and walked home a plant.. that you realized you could never lift out of your car ... i was mentioning that the other day ...

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I've done the bag thing when I am redoing a bed. Holes slashed in the bottom allow the plants to drain, especially important if there is a large rainfall. Most perennials can last a long time this way. Important to know that after a year or so the bags disintegrate. Finally have found a place to take those candy lilies this fall, rebagged of course. I keep all Target bags just for using in the gardens though they are no longer as strong as they used to be.

Also agree with Ken about holding the bushes until fall for replanting.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I totally agree, the last time I moved perennials, it was with plastic bags. Don't forget holes for some drainage, but that's tricky since you can cause the whole bottom to fall out. I put the holes after they were in their temporary home, since you can see how each bag is going to sit that way, and you don't lose the dirt on the first pick-up. Some of the smaller ones, I sat groups of bags on plastic nursery trays.

Just dig up stuff with as little disturbance as possible, with the biggest chunk of its' roots & attached dirt as you can, using shovel to let it gently slide into bag. If the bags are in a wheelbarrow when you do this, fill it, deposit your load in the shade, gently by moving the bags, not wheelbarrow-style-dumping, repeat. You'll do the least possible walking that way. Should be very little trauma to plants except the shade thing.

The P.S. above remind me of the time I drove the wheelbarrow to the gas station to fill the flat tire, then it was too tall to come out of the trunk when I got home, strength not a factor. Oops!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, Ken - that sure was me carting that tree home LOL!

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

I moved my whole garden when I moved to a new house. It was a lot of work. I agree with above tips.

For the mojo renewal, I think that once your patio renovation is done, you will be newly inspired to plant stuff to finish it off. Right now you are stressed to the max and don't want to think about it.

Just bag with a lot of attached soil, water and shade your plants. Love them and they will be fine. If not, then you can enjoy shopping for new ones next spring!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds like garbage bags are the way to go for the perennials. I'll use nursery pots for the shrubs for a little more TLC. Now I just MUST.GET.OUT.THERE (sigh...)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022