Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyhi

indecision

judyhi
10 years ago

Hi everyone!

Do you ever feel that you don't like your garden (or part of it) only to look at it again the same day and decide you do?

Comments (11)

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

Absolutely! Right about now I really hate Daylilies and wish they were not so ratty but when they first start blooming, I just love them. Also, I really hate the huge bed of cone flowers but can't cut them back because they are full of honey bees and bumblebees (first summer I have seen so many).

Also, I hate the perennial hibiscus because the Japanese Beetles love them!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Not in the same day, but definitely the same week or month or season. I'm feeling that way right now - my beds were fantastic this spring and through most of July, we had a lot of moisture and things were growing and blooming gangbusters. This time of year stuff starts looking tired.

I do often change my mind the same day in terms of plant placement - I'll plant something then look at it later and move it, I just don't like how it looks after I step away and get a fresh perspective.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Nope! I planned years ago what look I wanted for my little green acre and am now monumentally pleased not only with what I accomplished but how it looks. I actually gave my primary care doctor a tour yesterday--at her request--then accompanied her to her own garden for a tour & to offer suggestions for improvement.

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

I do often change my mind the same day in terms of plant placement - I'll plant something then look at it later and move it, I just don't like how it looks after I step away and get a fresh perspective.

This describes me too! I change my mind either that day or the following morning. In fact, I don't really consider anything 'done' until I have another look the next day. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

One thing that seems to help is a notebook to write down ideas, sketches, likes and dislikes and reminders for next year. Things change so much through the course of a garden season, it's easy to forget all the things you already made up your mind about.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Yes. No. Yes. No way. Sometimes. ;)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

LOL Cyn!

In the spring I'm more happy with the garden than at any other time. Everything is fresh and new and small and the bulbs are great and no weeds. Then it's an uphill climb from there to keep everything looking good and I never can. So I know there will probably be one or two areas that I'm really happy with and I will focus my attention there to keep it looking just the way I want it and the rest of the yard will get my time and energy when I have some leftover. All the while, I'm planning how I'm going to renovate all the areas that I'm not happy with, in the fall when it is cooler, or next spring if I don't get to it.

But it's funny that you brought this up about liking it one day and not the next, because I had that exact experience this past week. One day I was thinking wow, this is the best this bed has looked in awhile, and a few days later, I was making a list of everything I was going to pull out of it. lol

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

This is why it can be so helpful to take photos of your beds multiple times per year and store them for winter viewing. It's difficult to make sound decision now when we're in the thick of things as far as the gardening season goes.

Take the photos and look at them during the off winter season when you can spend time with them and really evaluate how good or how bad your garden looks from month to month. Maybe it's pure perfection 90% of the time and you're being overly critical of a few weeks of blah. Or maybe the opposite is true.
    Photos really help.

Kevin

• judyhi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your responses! Cyn, your response was great! It must be rewarding for you all to enjoy and see your work constantly evolve. Your photos have been beautiful!

• miclino
    10 years ago

This mild weather we have been having for weeks does not help. I have nothing to discourage me from moving stuff around

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

My problem has always been that it looks empty forever until one day I see, overnight, it's TOO full, then I make 'new' spots for the extras and go back to lamenting how empty it all looks. If I ever stay in one place long enough, there would eventually be no grass at all.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

They always say a great garden is constantly about change, it's the only art form that's never finished.... Too bad mine looks more like a child's fingerpainting!
    I'm always seeing new things and getting new ideas. Plus all that stuff grows, so unless you go with plastic plants you'll need to adapt at some point anyway.