Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siennact

Need help with a plant ID.

siennact
12 years ago

Can anyone id this plant that belongs to my friend? He says it is evergreen and about 24" tall and in a big clump several feet wide. It is growing in his yard in the northern part of CT, zone 6. Thanks in advance for any ideas. If it's something desirable I might be able to convince him to come to the fall plant swap!

{{gwi:259458}}

Comments (2)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Looks like the white form of Obedient plant/physostegia. The site claims it isn't invasive but the pink form does spread rapidly. I yank it out every year but it comes back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Obedient plant

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure that it's some type of heather/Calluna vulgaris. If the flowers are quite small, it's heather. It's a lovely small evergreen shrub that thrives in sandy acid soil. One of my favorite plants, it comes in many different varieties with pink, purplish or white flowers and foliage that ranges in color from deep green to silvery to bright golds, chartreuse and even reds and oranges. An excellent plant, but not one that you can in general divide. I have had ones self-seed or had branches root that I could then separate from the mother plant, or I know that they can be started from cuttings if you are good at that, though I have never tried that. It's definitely a keeper!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting