Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeysuckle

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 10:46

Home Depot has Goldflame Honeysuckle on sale.

Anyone have this one in their garden? Is it fragrant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeysuckle

I never notice any fragrance on this one although some people say they do. It gets aphids and mildew in my garden too, but VERY nice if you can avoid those two problems!

o

Thank you kato. Home Depot has it cheap and I am looking for fragrant vines to go around the gazebo. I guess I will give it a try.

o

Hi there

I think this might be the one I have (hard to say - it came with the house) but it looks identical to pictures I looked up. Anyway, never noticed a scent from it really. Good luck!

o

Hi Marquest,

I only notice the scent when I walk by it at night. At night it's very pleasantly fragrant; not too overpowering.

You know how it goes though; different people have different experiences with the same plant in different gardens, yadda, yadda.

Best of luck!
Steve

o

Thank you, I picked it up. Good thing I am a night owl so I will smell it when it blooms.

o

Some clones of Lonicera periclymenum are VERY fragrant in the afternoon in warm weather. I detected one while walking by the forest here, at a distance of 10 meters or so.

o

I've had a 'Goldflame' that was fragrant, and I've bought a second one that is much less so and the fragrance seems artificial to me, like perfume, which I don't care for. BUT....I had a hummingbird visit the yard briefly today and that was the plant she zoomed over to to get a little nectar before she zoomed off.

I would say, buy them when in bloom and test out the fragrance. I'm looking for a new one that is more fragrant too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here