Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atekk_gw

Best way to get large quantity of spring bulbs?

ATekk
11 years ago

Hi all,

So I am planning on planting a large quantity of spring bulbs this fall. I live on a corner lot of a pretty heavy foot traffic area and would like to have tulips wrap all the way around my house. I think this would be a pretty nice sight in the spring along with the cherry trees blooming.

Does anyone have good recommendations on where I can buy larger quantities of spring bulbs for "cheap"? I usually wait for the fall sales from websites like Santa Rosa or Bluestone to stock up on perennials but I highly doubt they discount their bulbs as much as they do the perennials (obviously the need to do so isn't there). I haven't counted yet but I am guessing I will need somewhere in the ballpark of ~200. If it is too pricey I may just have to break up the planting into a couple years.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (15)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

John Scheepers
    Very good quality too.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: JS

• ATekk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kevin

Prices look very good and glad to know they are great quality.

I also just noticed that there is a separate sub-forum for "bulbs" so I apologize if I put this in the wrong spot. Should have checked first.

I am completely new to bulb plantings and will have to do some research on the best varieties and strongest/longest bloomers. I wanted to go with a purple/yellow/white theme and was thinking of doing crocus upfront with tulips mixed in behind. What you think? Any recommendations?

Thanks again
    Adam

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

Adam

I don't really do spring bulbs any longer, but it's hard to go wrong with them.

I forgot to say, if you can request a catalog from Scheepers, do so. It's just a delight to go through. If I remember they also sell "collections" of bulbs in various color schemes which can be an even cheaper way of getting a lot for your money.

Kevin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

if you have a portable drill get a bulb auger ...

plant bulbs.. about 3 times the height of the bulb ... so a 2 inch bulb goes about 6 inches ...

with tulip.. pointed end up ... lol

if you have clay soil ... figure out what to do about it ...

plant in clumps.. so that you will know where they are.. and not mistakenly dig them up in summer ...

there are at least 4 time periods of bloom ... snow .. early.. mid.. and late ... plant FOR EACH period ... to extend the show ...

many bulbs.. like tulip are very short lived ... and the real hardcore.. plant NEW ONES.. every fall .. they simply decline in vigor quickly ... other do not ... the converse would be daff's

i no longer do any of the foo foo bulbs.. not only the very short bloom ... but in my sand.. they just arent worth it ...

but.. the smaller earlier ones.. like grape hyacinth ... crocus etc.. the shallow ones.. have been going crazy for 10 years ...

ken

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

John Scheepers is a very good company to do business with. If you are really getting a LOT of bulbs, check out their sister company, Van Engelen. Perhaps the prices are better for bigger orders there.

FYI, I find (and I think many others will agree) that tulips don't always naturalize as well as they are touted to. I now grow my tulips in pots as annuals. Some will say that the Darwins are better at returning, but I haven't had much luck with those either. Some of the species tulips, and the kaufmaniana and greigi tulips naturalize better, but they are smaller and might not have the same effect you are thinking of.

Also, keep in mind that after all that spectacular bloom you will have all that ugly dying foliage, lol. And cutting it all back will weaken the bulbs, so you have to live with it.

Additionally, think twice if you have a critter problem.

I'm honestly not trying to talk you out of this, lol. I just want you to know what to expect, since you say you are new to bulbs. If it were me, I would consider daffodils instead. Yes, they are more limited in color and may not look as exotic, but they are hardier, stronger naturalizers, and more resistant to critter damage. They will still have ugly foliage, but you can hide that by planting a border of something else. If you did that then you would also have some interest for a longer season.

Best of luck and if you do go ahead with your plans, you can't go wrong with Scheepers or Van Engelen.

Dee

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

Speaking of Van Engelen, I just received an email from them mentioning their special collections.

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Engelen

• lisanti07028
    11 years ago

Daffodils can get pretty exotic nowadays - orange centers, green trumpets, doubles, short trumpet, pinks, salmon, early bloomers, late bloomers. You can start drooling as soon as you open the Scheeper's catalogue.

For species bulbs as well as minor bulbs, McClure & Zimmerman is good, too.

• ATekk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow thank you all for your input! A lot of very helpful information here.

All of my current beds are primarily perrenial focused now with shrubs and the like mixed in. Is there anything I should be worried/focused on when planting the bulbs? My beds by mid summer will be fully filled in so I didn't know what that meant for bulb growth. Obviously by the time everything else fills in the leaves from the bulbs will have browned and been cut back but I didn't know if placing the bulbs in root crowded spots would have an impact on any of the the plants growth? For example, if I placed crocus up front, eventually the front of the bed is filled in by my Aster Woods Blue, is that ok?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Van Engelen is the wholesale/bulk division of the company, Scheeper's the retail division, smaller quantities at slightly higher prices.

The REAL bargain comes is you aren't too choosy and can wait until early November. They discount the leftovers pretty well, sometimes 20-25%, some things sometimes up to 50% if memory serves me. Shouldn't be a weather issue in NJ waiting until November, and they will ship in about a day of ordering.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I have used Van Engelen/John Scheepers and I also use Brent and Becky's. I have found that some are cheaper with one company and some cheaper with the other. Both have excellent quality bulbs and both have at least some of the less common bulbs, though B&B probably have a few more.

IME McClure and Zimmerman were quite a bit more expensive last I checked and though I have bought from them in the past, their current reviews on Garden Watchdog aren't great.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

McClure and Zimmerman used to be my favorite place for species tulips - love, love, love species tulips!

However, the last couple of years I've ordered from them (not tulips) the most desirable plants I ordered are suddenly "not available". Of course I don't find out until they ship the other things I ordered. I find that sooooooooooo frustrating.

Kevin

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

Many of the new fancy daffodils are not much better than the tulips. If you have narcissus flies in the vicinity, forget about daffodils. They will find them. The only tulip that returned with blooms 3 years in a row in the same quantity as planted, was Appeldoorn Elite.

• ATekk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am glad I brought my question here as I was about to bite the bullet on buying 300+ tulips from another supplier not mentioned above that I just found has pretty terrible reviews. Close one!

Although I am disappointed in hearing that "in general" tulips do not naturalize as well as I had thought (my wife being more disappointed) I am not a fan of plants that are not dependable or that I have to baby too much. I much rather have something grow too strong and pull out extras than worry about replanting the same thing every year. So for that I thank you all.

I think to go for the impact I wanted originally I will plant an 8 inch deep border of Muscari in front of the beds stretching all the way around the house (love that river bright blue look) and then plant Crocus and Narcissi behind it. How is the timing of these with some spring blooming perennials like Nepeta and Salvia?

Adam

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

Where in NJ are you? I'm in Morris county.

To give you some frame of reference, by May 20 my Nepeta x faassenii, Salvia 'Eveline', Salvia 'Rose Queen' and Salvia 'Eveline' are all blooming.

• User
    11 years ago

I have been buying wholesale bulbs in the UK for a number of years - it is the only way to go. For the same price as 7-10 retail bulbs, I expect 25 wholesale - and buying bulbs in quantity is also much better than a few scattered little plantings.
    Also the tulip debate will rumble on - I have excellent results at naturalising tulips, and not just Darwins or species either. If you can provide well drained soil with a summer baking and a winter chilling, many tulips will be reliably perennial. Some species, such as Batalini and clusiana are also showy and delightful.
    The biggest enemies of bulbs tend to be animal digging and munching and winter wet. Make this year a trial year before committing great wads of cash - in gardening, there is always next year.