Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mostone_gw

Are my Phlox done for the season or dying?

mostone
12 years ago

I have some Phlox David that I planted in mid May. They have done well all season but some of them have started to brown and wilt. I have been trying to keep up with watering, but may have slacked off a little because these seemed pretty well established. Are these plants particularly susceptible to dry conditions?

Comments (10)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Most garden-related stuff is dependent on your climate. Climates are divided into gardening zones. You can find your zone here. If you include your zone and state in your profile info, it will show up next to your name automatically when you say something on these forums. That will allow people to better know what kind of advice to give you. Most people include their state, too. The "8b AL" next to my name means I'm in zone 8b, in Alabama.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

mine just started blooming a week ago or so.. in my z5

as noted.. where are you

ken

• mostone
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry - I'm in zone 6. It's been hot and dry this summer hee in the northeast.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Phloxes can be susceptible to dry conditions, but David belongs to the least vulnerable. I have David growing in really dry place and it does not seem to be affected. If it is too dry , the first sign would be mildew. So I would rather seek for a problem another place, like fungi on the roots, a larva gnawing the roots, rodents eating the roots or something like that, something poisonous(too much chemicals)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    12 years ago

I learned an important lesson about Phlox, mildew and fungal diseases in general this summer. The last few years we've had various degrees of drought summers. Since I'm rather lean on watering regularly a lot of plants suffered including the phlox.

The phlox and asters got mildew early. The asters were also plagued with that horrible fungal disease that starts at the base of the plant and works it's way up. For some reason I always blamed this on high humidity and too crowded conditions.

This summer as many of you have also experienced, the heat was unbearable for about a month. The humidity was some of the worst in recorded MN history and the breezes seemed non-existent. Not a spot of mildew or fungal diseases on anything so far. What was different about this summer was we had rain - tons of rain - about an inch or more per week - every week. The phlox in particular have never looked or bloomed better. They started about 2 weeks ago and are still going strong.

Kevin

• DYH
    12 years ago

My phlox 'David' is on the 2nd bloom. We've had a summer of little rain (until a few days ago) and many, many days of 90-102 degrees.

One grouping has received very little water from me, but has a bit more shade from roses. No brown at all. The other group is in full sun all day long and therefore, has been getting watering at ground level and has a few inches of brown leaves at the bottom, but the rest of the plant is green and blooming.

Cameron

• MollyDog
    12 years ago

How many times will phlox rebloom if deadheaded?

• hudsonriverbug
    12 years ago

My tall pink phlox were 're-blooming' on the same flower heads that originally blossomed until the marauding deer made a visit last night. Guess I'll get to see if (although unwanted) deadheading causes them to send out some buds further down the stems. I've got them saturated in Plantskydd now, along with the Persian Shield, Deutzia Chardonnay Pearls and Spirea the deer had their way with.

My fault--can never let my guard down when it comes to the 4-legged critters! Mollydog, I'll let you know in a couple of weeks if I get any additional blooms. Someone on here has the answer now, I'm sure. It will be great to know what to expect.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Get Liquid Fence and spray. It smells horrible only for about 15-30 min. but you need to re-spray after a rain.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

I think it is from the hot, dry weather we have had. Cut them back to the ground and they'll come back. Keep them watered well.