Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaybea20_gw

What to put around my retaining wall-help!

jaybea20
9 years ago

HI guys-

I need serious help determining what to do with my retaining wall. In my head, it is covered with beautiful foliage, flowers...it's amazing. In reality, it's a wall. I can't figure out how to turn it into the plant-covered idea that is in my head. This is my third unsuccessful season in making it happen. I've tried Petunias because I would like something spilling, but the bricks at the top of the wall are about 8" wide and encouraging something to jump that is tough.

I currently have phlox planted at the very top of the wall. I put it in the beginning of June, so I won't know if that spills over until next season. I'm thinking I need something viney to crawl up the wall, but I'm scared to death of any kind of ivy. Any ideas? Through research I've come up with using Jackmanni Clematis, because it is the type of Clematis I can cut back in the fall and neaten up (my neighbors would probably appreciate that). I was thinking I would put 2 ft trellises in between each Holleyhock at the base of the wall to start something, like the Jackmanni.
So, any thoughts on what I should do or whether Jackmanni would work out for this?

Comments (13)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Oooh - that is one nice wall! So much potential.

A climbing rose would look lovely spilling down over the wall. Look for the "Explorer" series for cold-hardy roses, many of them are excellent climbers.

For perennials, try catmint (it sprawls, so will find it's way down), "Biokovo" geranium, plumbago. For annuals, try the "Mediterranean" series of vinca or trailing geraniums.

I think you're going to have to build up the soil a bit higher behind the wall, though - 8" is a lot to overcome if you want the plants to spill over the edge.

Also, I would place some taller plants in the planting area at the bottom of the wall mixed in with your shorter plants (i.e. height variation). Some taller ornamental grasses would look good here and soften the look of the wall.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

I wouldn't do a trellis unless you can find the absolute perfect one to compliment the wall. I think that would be difficult.

The wall itself is beautiful. Don't try to hide it. You simply need to find some plants to soften the edges. A few things cascading over the top and some taller plants at the base should do the trick IMO.

Kevin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

black mulch killed a lot of stuff in my garden ... i would go with natural ... and it will fade to match the wall .. rather than the black trim on the house ....

what direction does the wall face ...

your bed is not very wide at the bottom .. and if it faces the sun in the heat of the day.. that may be part of your problem growing things ...

once you commit to widening the bed.. the sky is the limit ... as to landscaping the area ...

i think you are in a bit of a box.. working with that thin bed ... and trying to work directly on the wall ...

a few select conifers ... out from the wall ... could be added for a vertical aspect ..... vs the horizontal wall ... and they could lead to shading of the wall itself.. which then might help you grow things such as clematis ... etc ...

there are also some juniper horizontalis.. that over the years.. would .. get this.. grow down the wall ...

many things to think about...

ken

• Freda
    9 years ago

As much as I love clematis, I wouldn't cover up that wall with it. Kevin is right in that something spilling over the top would be much better.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Oooh, what a nice picture. This is the best way to ask for advice!

The wall, the house and the existing landscaping are formal and beautiful. Don't fight the formality. Some shabby chic morning glories would not play well with the overall scene. I like Ken's idea of conifers. If you really wanted something to climb, I'd suggest a climbing rose which can look at home in a formal setting.

In front of the wall, some big globe allium bulbs would look striking in late spring!

• arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
    9 years ago

I agree that a climbing rose spilling over the edge would look gorgeous! Also, you mentioned a fear of ivy, but I think English ivy would look nice and complement your home as well. Brick and mortar is about the only thing it can grow on without causing a problem.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

I agree with planting something to spill over the beautiful wall rather than hiding it from below.

Clematis jackmanii is going to overwhelm that wall because it grows very fast.
    Denititely not English Ivy. It is ugly and quite invasive. You will regret planting it in the future because it will take over and it is very difficult to remove.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

Phlox subulata planted on top of a wall will drape... eventually. Don't count on a great deal of progress by next season already though.

What will drape is a vigorous grower like sweet potato vine. True, it's an annual but so readily available and inexpensive that it might be interesting to put some in the ground as soon as you can plant outdoors. I'm partial to the "Blackie" variety - it will sometimes put out a pink petunia like bloom. But the chartreuse and variegated forms are quite nice too.

Here is a link that might be useful: sweet potato vine images

• paul_
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls,
    I wouldn't do a trellis unless you can find the absolute perfect one to compliment the wall. I think that would be difficult.
    The wall itself is beautiful. Don't try to hide it. You simply need to find some plants to soften the edges. A few things cascading over the top and some taller plants at the base should do the trick IMO.
    I agree with Kevin ... beautiful wall! Hiding it would be a shame.

I like the suggestions given thus far. Many options.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

I grow phlox subulata on my low, stone retaining wall. Well, I guess not on it, but next to it. It does creep over the wall, but depending on what your winters are like, it might not do so well. I've noticed in winters with little snow cover, the portions on the wall often turn crispy brown by spring and look terrible until I chop those portions off. It does regrow from the portion planted in the ground, but you have to wait awhile before it looks good again.

I like the suggestion of some annuals. There are some very cool things you could try for cheap - like the sweet potato vines. If you don't like them, do something different next year. And they grow FAST!

Kevin

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I agree with the OP that the wall needs some softening and actually like the idea of some mid-height shrubs or restrained size clematis planted along the bottom of the wall to help soften the height, though not to hide the whole thing. You can look for clematis that are type 3 pruning and under 6' on Clematis on the Web. Just leave blank the fields that aren't important to you. A mid-sized shrub near the ends of the wall will help make the transition less abrupt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web search

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Most of my ideas are a bit invasive.

You could plant Trumpet Vine along the base. Cab be a nuisance but there is a North American native version and it has big orange flowers.

You could plant Snow-in-Summer at the top, but that is invasive in some places.

Potato Bean is both a bulb (OK, tuber) and a vine, which can create some interesting options.

Beach Pea has interesting foliage and flowers that bloom briefly, and being a beach plant can take a lot of heat. That could be planted at the top.

Where are you?

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

A very old fashioned shrub that would be perfect at the top near the house is Exochorda macrantha 'The Bride'. It wants to flop over a wall and in early spring is covered with white flowers. It doesn't turn fall colors, but it remains good looking, even when it's bare in winter.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz