Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dividing perennial geraniums

Posted by blackie57 z5 NY Broome Co (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 11:37

I have quite a few perennial geranium's in my gardens and they are getting quite large, large enough to divide into 3 or four nice sized plants. this way I can share them and place splashes of color here and there... is there anything I should know about dividing them or do you just dig them up and cut the root ball into 3 or four nice chunks of plant ??

Thanks in advance...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dividing perennial geraniums

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 12:50

Oh heck, just have at it any old way...these things are tough plants.

Most of the time there isn't actually a "root ball"; rather, roots get dug/pulled up. Just pull these apart and replant. Even if some get broken, they will be fine. If you do have an actual root ball or big tangled mass of roots and soil, just pull apart or slice apart - like I said, tough plants, they'll be fine. :0)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here