Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
companion for Nine Bark

Posted by pegnj (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 31, 08 at 11:37

Does anyone have any suggestions for what would look nice planted in front of Nine Bark? I am looking for something about 3' tall and blooms late July into August.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: companion for Nine Bark

Peg: it would depend on the colour of the foliage: I have Diablo which has deep reddish foliage and another ninebark which has lime foliage.

o

I have Diablo with Ann Folkard a sprawling perennial geranium, I like the color combination of the dark foliage of the ninebark against the magenta flowers and the yellow-green foliage of the geranium. At one time I had Dart's Gold with the clematis Ramona, another nice color combo.

Annette

o

I paired up my Summer Wine with a Gold Thread Cypress - I know it's not really a bloomer that you're asking for, but the contrast in the textures and the colors seem to work very well indeed.

o

above ideas are all neat. some additional companions:
daylilies, true red or yellow
fothergilla blue ___
golden cotinus
blue conifers
cornus alba elegantissima or ivory halo
yellow cornus alba

best,
mindy

o

For P. 'Mindia' (Coppertina ninebark), I've used orange and purple/blue flowering companions. This is a newly renovated area for part sun, so I'm not sure how this will all turn out, but here is my list of companion plants:

- Canna 'Bengal Tiger'
- Croscomia 'Warlhead'
- Aesclepias (butterfly weed)
- Agastache 'Black Adder'
- Purple Siberian iris
- Ironweed (size kept in check by cutting back earlier in season)
- Galliardia 'Fanfare'

o

Thanks for all the ideas! I have Summer Wine Ninebark. Sorry - I forgot it has other varieties

I am looking for a perennial that would be in front of the ninebark and behind moonbeam coreopsis. So I think it would have to be something upright.

o

Mine are both 'Coppertina', but I liked it so much that I created an island bed around it. Here is what is in it"

Mums - Bronze and Gold (directly in front)
Echinacea 'Harvest Moon'
Dianthus 'Ideal Select Red'
Daylily 'Stella de Oro'
Geum 'Blazing Sunset'
Alyssum 'Golden Queen'

With the 'Summer Wine' you could use one of the rose colored Echinaceas, such as 'Primadonna' or 'Ruby Star'. Another one that would be upright, and about the right height, in Asclepias incarnata 'Cinderella'. An upright Phlox would work too, if you can deal with the possible powdery mildew issues.

Bonnie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here