Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'd needed

Posted by eholceker none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 11:54

Does anyone know what kind of perrenial this is? It has a new mound growing underneath. Is it okay if I cut these branches down to the ground or should I wait? Trying to clean up the landscaping a bit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'd needed

Some sort of Penstemon. I don't know them very well.

o

Might be Penstamon 'Huskers' Red' that was grown in the shade.

o

I've never cut mine back to the ground, but I cut off the flower stems when it's through blooming, and it looks a lot neater. Since it's a fairly early bloomer, it always amazes me that it does nothing after being cut back but sit there and look the same the rest of the summer. Mine is Penstemon 'Dark Towers' but has much darker foliage than yours.

o

My first thought when I saw the picture earlier today was penstemon but since I grow 'Mystica' the green foliage made me question if that was what it was. 'Mystica' foliage is darker green with dark red edges.

I do nothing to my many penstemons since I often harvest seeds once they're ripe. If you don't plan to grow more plants from seed, it's okay to cut the flower stems off for a tidier garden look. All my plants have been reliably hardy for the past 6 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here