Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to tell difference between salvia and veronica?

Posted by gardenmom z4 WA (GardenMom360@gmail.com) on
Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 12:06

I've lost the 'map' I made of my perennial beds. I have both salvia and veronica, blue and pink, and can't tell which is which. Is there an easy way to tell them apart?
I recognize my May Night salvia - the leaves are connected directly to the main stem with no leaf stem. But, I bought a Rose Queen salvia this year, and it has leaf stems. So much for that idea.
Can anyone help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to tell difference between salvia and veronica?

Salvia is a member of the Lamiaceae (think Mint) family and members typically have 4-sided stems, opposite leaves and whorled flowers (tier-like).

Veronica is a member of the Scrophulariaceae (think Snapdragon), and also typcically has opposide leaves, but no 4-sided stems, and flowers are arranged in racemes (spike-like).

Focus on the stems. ;)

o

The scent is another easy way to tell them apart! Salvia nemorosa foliage has a very distinctive "cat-pee" odor...

o

or snap pix and post them here or in the name that plant forum ...

but then.. the camera is probably with the maps and cant be found.. lol ...

or simpler.. google both names and flip to the images side .... did the first one for you ... link below ...

ken

ps: best hint: get a good old fashioned clip board.. and a nail ... pound nail in garage wall ... hang clipboard on nail ... and always return it to the garage after drawing on it ... when i garden.. the first trip is always to the garage to get the saw.. and shovel.. pruning shears whatever.. so why not keep the clipboard there.. once ANYTHING comes in the house.. its lost forever ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Queen salvia

o

Thanks. The 4-sided stems and smell made them easy to distinguish. Can't do pictures, I've cut back all the faded flower spikes. We had some folks 'caretaking' our place for a few years while we were gone. Unfortunately, there was more 'taking' than 'care' and I think the garden notebook was used by their kids. Lesson learned : NEVER rent to anyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here