Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

How about this ugly plant?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
10 years ago

We're always posting photos of our spectacular plants, so I thought I would shake it up a bit and post a couple of photos of a plant which has really disappointed me: Spring Celebrities Hollyhock

For some reason last winter, I decided to try one of the dwarf hollyhocks since the standard monsters simply do not work in my small garden - plus I hate staking tall plants. The Spring Celebrities series caught my eye, so I ordered one - just as a test.

It started out nice, it grew fast, the foliage was nice and mounded and the first flowers emerged more from the base of the plant which I thought was kind of interesting. It also bloomed early - like early July or so and as continued non-stop. That's about all the nice things I can say about this one. For me, it just lacks the grace of the standard hollyhock. There is kind of a central stem, but only a few flowers open at a time and over a very long period of time, so it never achieved the traditional hollyhock affect if you know what I mean.

Am I being to harsh? Has anyone grown these and really liked them? It think I should give it another year - if it survives another year, but if you think it's a waste of garden space, Ill rethink that. Oh yes, I really regret choosing this color. Maybe some of the other colors would be better.

What do you think?

Kevin

{{gwi:260831}}

{{gwi:260832}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz