Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Local business lucked out with these hydrangea

I noticed this planting outside an older home (now a real estate office) on our town's main street.

Comments (18)

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Swoon!

Do you know what they are?

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Wow...look like some form of PG...but still spectacular

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Could it be "Strawberry Vanilla"?

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Please don't tell me what those are!!! They're stunning and I'm salivating at the idea of them growing in my garden. I even have a shady, moist area for them along my southern boundary.

I got lucky this year and had ONE flower on my hydrangea.

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Definitely look like Vanilla Strawberry. Do they have reddish stems?

• Pat z6 MI
    9 years ago

if that picture makes you salivate, don't go to the Hydrangea Forum!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    9 years ago

I second Vanilla Strawberry.

Original Author
    9 years ago

This showcase group of hydrangeas can be found at the entrance to one of our local independent grocery stores.

As of today:

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

My gosh I'm saving that picture and using it next year when I do the beds in front of the house !! So beautiful . Thanks for posting !
    Garden weed , they do look like vanilla strawberry and it's a full sun type , in case you decide to go forward with it . Not sure how the panticlatas do in shade .

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Man, I wish I would have picked those Vanilla Strawberry over Bobo. The nursery had both and I went with the Bobo. Oh well, too late now. Will definitely remember next time I need (want?) a paniculata.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Man, I wish I would have picked those Vanilla Strawberry over Bobo.

Maybe not quite a fair comparison as Bobo is much smaller than VS.

(If I had the space I would go larger as well).

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Beautiful! -and I was so close to ordering vanilla strawberry this spring but was worried it was a flopper. I'd be thrilled if they turned out like that!
    There's always next year :)

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Yea, yea, I know - that is why I chose Bobo.

I guess I'm just underwhelmed by Bobo. I don't think it's Bobo's fault, though - this spot is just a sea of white blooms, it's rather blah, and that's on me, I didn't plan well. Plus it's the first season so the huge blooms look wonky on a short bush. I assume it will look different next year. I've already decided that next season I'm going to plant some tall zinnias in this area for the pop of color the area so desperately needs.

Poor Bobo. Just wait - for all the whining I've done about them, they'll end up being one of my favorites over the long haul. Happens all the time LOL! I must say, they sure do look healthy as all get out with lots of blooms. :0)

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    9 years ago

The picture outside the grocery story most likely is limelight. I have several of them. Their blooms have a faint fragrant smell therefore has been my favorite. A few years ago I posted here about the fragrant blooms but I was the only one had this experience.

I cut the flowers and bring them indoor. They really bright up any places.

Vivian

Original Author
    9 years ago

this spot is just a sea of white blooms, it's rather blah, and that's on me, Plus it's the first season so the huge blooms look wonky on a short bush. I assume it will look different next year. I've already decided that next season I'm going to plant some tall zinnias in this area for the pop of color the area so desperately needs,

mxk3, I understand and agree with everything you wrote.

In the border for which I have 6 "Bobos", instead of planting them consecutively I instead alternated with a hardy geranium ("Havana Blue" or "Azure Rush") thereby breaking up all that bright white. But inserting an earlier flowering annual such as the zinnias you mentioned would be an excellent idea.

(And yes I think you will really come to like your "Bobos" as they mature).

Original Author
    9 years ago

And today I spied this group of "Limelight" on display outside a local nursery (the tallest member was over 6 feet in height).

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022